US man circumcises 2 year old daughter!

Bangkoktraveler

This must be the year of the rock because all of the kooks are coming out from under the rocks.

The story can be read HERE

Ga. man accused of circumcising daughter

Associated Press

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - An immigrant from Africa has gone on trial on charges alleging he circumcised his 2-year-old daughter with a pair of scissors to avoid bringing shame on his family.

It appears to be a groundbreaking prosecution for a case of female genital mutilation in the U.S., said Taina Bien-Aime, executive director of Equality Now, a New York-based human rights group that focuses on violence and discrimination against women and girls around the world.

Khalid Adem could face 40 years in prison if convicted in Gwinnett County on the charges of aggravated battery and cruelty to children.

Prosecutor Marty First acknowledged that Adem, who was born in Ethiopia, is from a culture that practices female circumcision.

"But circumcision is just a nice way of saying mutilation," First told the jury in his opening statement Tuesday. "There is no doubt that she was mutilated. And this is not something you go to a doctor and do because no doctor will do it. He did this to his own baby."

The practice, a tradition in some African cultures, is widely condemned by human rights groups and has been outlawed in the United States since 1997.

Police have said that Adem used scissors to circumcise his daughter in their Duluth apartment in 2001. The child's mother said she didn't discover it until more than a year later.

"He did not do that. He never wanted it to happen," defense attorney W. Mark Hill told the jury. "He will tell you that. And that only leaves two people. The people who were primarily taking care of the child. The mother and the grandmother."

First said the girl told Gwinnett County authorities that her father cut her. The prosecutor quoted Adem as saying in late 2002 and early 2003 that if the girl were not circumcised, "it will be a shame to the family."

"He said he wanted (the girl) to have it done so that she will not be promiscuous," First added. He also said Adem implied he had already circumcised the girl.

Hill denied Adem ever made any of those statements and asked how the victim's mother could not have known for more than a year that the girl was circumcised.

Hill said Fortunate Adem's allegations stem from a nasty divorce and a custody battle over the girl.

have to agree Flash..........

i/we know that different Countries have different customs but he should face the full fury of the law if the Country he is living in has laws against it.

i don't many of us would take a pair of scissors to one of our kids and brutally mutilate them.

Flashermac,

I am not an expert in this. Just saw one or two documentations about female circumcision in africa. So have to rely on what was shown there.

I got the impression that thw women, especially the older women, took a very active part. The old birds were afraid the girls (about 10 to 13 years old at time of curcumcision) won't find a husband if they haven't had their circumcision.

And then when I read

'Police have said that Adem used scissors to circumcise his daughter in their Duluth apartment in 2001. The child's mother said she didn't discover it until more than a year later.'

A very obvious lie.

If you ask me all three took part in it and the little girl would be better off not seeing her parents and granny ever again.

What really happened? I think we'll never know.

What I want to see is the immigration department list certain things that is illegal in the states that are part of others religions/customs like female circumcision, insisting on veils for girls in school or to take a drivers license photo, animal rituals, etc. and tell them. If you come to the states you can't have it that way so either stay out or be prepared to be told you can't and suffer possible consequences.

Too many times 'freedom of religion' is cited as an excuse to conduct things here.

There are a laundry list of religion and cultural things that we already know about that should be codified into our immigration policy but they won't be because a lot of is considered to be non PC to tell them ahead of time. Then they arrive and make a federal case out of it...litterally.

Archived