thai fonts????

hall

Hi,

As a total computor illiterate can anyone explain what the weird symbols are that I regularly seem to come across on Thai Web sites.. I haven't got a keyboard that can duplicate them but it's something like AE~D6^AE+OEeA etc etc. Thanks.

Cheers Hall :

quote:

Originally posted by hall:

Hi,

As a total computor illiterate can anyone explain what the weird symbols are that I regularly seem to come across on Thai Web sites.. I haven't got a keyboard that can duplicate them but it's something like AE~D6^AE+OEeA etc etc. Thanks.

Cheers Hall :

If your browser will display thai fonts you can always choose view>encoding>thai (IE) and see for yourself. If you are interested in knowing more about displaying thai fonts on your computer go to: http://www.inet.co.th/support/thai.html

Although unlikely that you may be using a Mac, but if you are a Mac user then let me know -- it's just a matter of getting hold of Thai fonts and setting the browser.

Ciao!

micsnee

Hi DB,

Nope.In fact I'm more confused than before!!! I really am a computor newbie!!!Don't even know how to cut and paste yet!! All I want to do is be able to type emails in thai written language. I have a thai font keyboard but stupid as I am, even I realise you need some sort of software to make it work. The other thing I can't figure are the strange looking letters I sometimes bring up when fiddling with the computor to try to install thai characters. Look like A^D`~ etc etc. Haven't a clue what all that is about. If you know of a simple book or site that can help I would really appreciate it. I did use a computor in an internet cafe in Chiang Mai which had an icon where you could change between thai/english at a single click but my thai was not good enough for me to get the programme name out of the owner.Any help would be appreciated as this has been driving me nuts for weeks now.

Thanks Hall

Thanks Adik, I'll wade my way through that lot. Incidentally I have followed the instructions 'built into' my computor i.e.'go to tools' 'internet options' 'fonts' etc. and according to the inbuilt instructions I should be having no problem. Other than me being totally stupid of course!!!!!!Anyway thanks for your futher assistance.

Cheers Hall

Thanks Db. Browser is IE5.5 I have bookmarked Thai govt.page. Gone into View>encoding and selected Thai. Went into product updates but Thai not listed under languages. Maybe because it was in the View>encoding menu????

Help! Hall

สวัสดีครับ

DB. Thanks for your time and infinite patience!I'm not sure how you achieved it,but as you can see I am now able to type using ไทย characters. If you are not yet totally exasperated with me, my final problem is that of transmitting emails in Thai characters. I type the email in ไทย no problem-I just switch between En/Th as you suggested. However the recipient of the emails receives the emails in the "gobbledegook language" which I described in my original post i.e. something like A^AO!#ODA^B etc. etc. Am I still missing something here or does the recipient have to press a few buttons to convert the "gobbledegook" back to ไทย characters? And just to really strain the friendship-is there anyway I can increase the size of the ไทย characters. Increasing the english is no problem but the ไทย remains the same size whatever. Being a 60 year old with not the best eyesight it would probably cut my translation time down by half if I could actually see!!!!

ขอบคุณมากครับ Hall

Archived