thai fonts????

hall

DB

All working OK including increased font size. Many, many thanks for your time and trouble. My next trip to los is not till April. Hopefully you'll be around and allow me to buy you a drink or three! Well back to figuring out how to 'cut and paste' I'm ok with this one. It's on page 116 of The Complete Idiot's Guide to PCs!!!

Again thanks.

Cheers Hall

Hall,

Hi, I was interested to see you got the Thai keyboard switcher working. I must admit I tried it but never got it to fuction properly (most probably my lack of computer skills). In particular, while some Thai characters did display properly on screen, others didn't. Have you got it to work correctly with the vowel SARAH EE and the tone mark MAI TOH? For example, if you were to type the Thai word for mistress, MIA NOI, and post it up here I'd be interested to see how this turns out.

Also what Thai font do you use when typing Thai with the keyboard switcher (can be seen in Tools->internet options->Fonts)?

Thanks

Boo

Hi Boo,

You are actually asking the wrong guy.. DB talked me through it and after much trial and error we got there!! He works cheap too-just a couple of Cokes! LOL.I'm sure he would be more than willing to assist. Yep just saw his post to you! To answer you as best I can I'm using Tahoma. I originally was using Iris UPC but this was far too small for my weary old eyes. Regarding sera does this answer your question เมีย หน่อย ? Hope I've been of some help and if I have, I must give all the credit to DB without whose assistance I'd still be wondering in the wilderness!

Cheers Hall

DB,

I know the feeling! My doc put me off the beer and spirits some time ago. However I am allowed wine and as Australia produces THE best wines (champagne being the exception)at THE cheapest prices I'll bring a couple of bottles next trip.You prefer white,red,dry,sweet or any/all of the foregoing??

Cheers Hall

db_sez_aloha,

Thanks for you lengthy reply regarding keyboard characters. At present I have Win 98SE (Eng version), IE 5.0, Thai Language support and Baanthai’s keyboard switcher already installed.

With the encoding set to Thai and the keyboard switcher toggled to Thai, when I try to type Thai characters in my reply to you, they come out as ‘gobbledegook’, as Hall puts it. So I can’t see what I’m typing. On posting Thai script and viewing it on the message board, it’s still gobbledegook. I have tried this with Cordia and Tahoma Thai fonts.

On setting encoding to User Defined and toggling the keyboard switcher to Thai, some Thai characters display properly while typing, others don’t display at all e.g. the vowel SARA EE or the tone mark MAI TOH don’t display at all. So this makes it difficult to see what I'm typing. On posting the message and viewing it on the message board however, the Thai script appears correctly (missing characters are now present).

Funnily enough, Hall’s Thai script seems to display correctly if I have the encoding set to English or Thai, while mine doesn’t, requiring Thai encoding to display properly.

So I guess I’ve got it half working.

Er, hope the above makes sense to you...it’s not too well explained I know.

Any advice/help appreciated.

By the way in IE on going Tools->Internet Options->Fonts, I do have several Thai fonts installed.

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Boo Radley ]

DB,

No I don't have any lingering problems.Thanks for asking. The liver is a tough old son of a gun. Takes a hell of a lot of punishment before it gives out! Fortunately! But I always heed a warning so only the odd wine or three now.

I'm no wine connoisseur so if there are any on the board feel free to shoot me down in flames if I'm off track here. But as far as I am aware we no longer produce a Beaujolais here in Oz. Or indeed any wines which the Europeans consider themselves to have a "copyright' on.Many years ago Oz produced

all types of wine burgundy,claret,champagne,beaujolais, etc.etc. At that time Oz wine was generally acknowledged as the world's worst, palatable only to the most hardened "wino" . Accordingly the Europeans didn't give a damn that we were copying their wine names and selling the rotgut under their "tradenames".Mainly because one sip and you never bought another bottle!!So I guess the Oz "knockoff" stuff actually increased the sales of the genuine article.However when the new generation Oz vignerons (who were in fact European immigrants) began making wines superior to Europe's wines and severely denting the Europeans' world markets, they threatened,cajoled,demanded,took legal action and finally (the french) dropped an A-Bomb in the Pacific which the comedians amongst us still reckon was a threat to stop us using the names of their wines!!!So most if not all Oz wines are now sold as(usually) the name of the grape types they were made from. Beaujolais type wines are labelled as something like "Penfold's Number Three Estate Gamay 1998" gamay being the grape variety from which Beaujolais is made. This seems to have circumvented the Europeans' attempts to drive our wines of the market!

My own tipple is a Botrytis Semillon but can quite happily quaff a decent Merlot so Merlot it shall be.

Cheers Hall.

Dear DB,

Many thanks for your reply. I downloaded the courier mono Thai font at http://www.baanthai.com/software/courmon.ttf however my Windows will not recognise it as a font, so I can't add it to the fonts folder. Tried downloading it twice in case it got corrupted during transfer but no go. So maybe its corrupted at source?

P.S. you wrote:

For fun, do a "View Source" on this page -- you'll see Halls' post uses escape characters while your failed post is "gobbledygook".

Was interested to see that my previous post's Thai script (7 before this one) appears to display incorrectly ('failed') on your computer. It displays OK on mine when I switch to Thai (Windows) encoding in IE...

I'm beginning to think this is some sort of Microsoft payback for me frequenting Pantip Plaza too often. ;-)

Archived