MSN Virus warning

Roger

A warning to all of you who are using MSN messenger service. I have received two viruses in the last couple of days (one of them being the sircam virus) from people I know whilst they are online. But when I have mentioned that the file they just sent me had a virus in it their reply was “ What file”? I think we are all aware of not opening suspect files sent via e-mail, but now it seems that they are being sent via MSN messenger too. If you get any files sent whilst online, you should ask your contact if they are sending something for you. The inbuilt virus protection found one of the viruses but not the sircam one.

quote:

Originally posted by db_sez_aloha:

Roger, can you tell us what directory the suspect files appeared in? -- C:\My Documents\Messenger Service Received Files should be the default location for incoming files.

And how did you know you were getting those files -- did you get a dialog box or something similar?

--db

Db,

I received the virus by first seeing that a friend was online and opening a dialogue window, I just typed in “Hi” and straight away got a reply saying something along the lines of “ Great new game, you can shoot the balls off President Bush all day!!” (Couldn’t resist clicking on the accept link) halfway through the file transfer I got a message flashing up saying the file being downloaded is infected with a certain virus. I think it was something along the lines of W32 something or other. It gave me the option of deleting the file, which I did. When I scanned for the SirCam virus it was found in about six directories, one being MSN/Received Files and it was also in the SYSTEM directory and a few others. This time I had the option of cleaning the files, which I tried and it wouldn’t do, or deleting them. I deleted and, touch would this seems to have sorted it. Not sure which file the SirCam came in through other than it was via MSN, could have been a music file or a jpeg. Hope this makes it clear.

Regards

Roger

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: Roger ]

UPDATE:

The same user just came online again, when I opened a dialogue box her comp tried to send me a file called choke.exe. I declined the download and asked if she had sent it. She hadn't. I kept being sent a smiley face and the message at the bottom of the box said "George.W.Bush@whitehouse.gov is typing a message" When she typed it came up with the correct name at the bottom. She said she has scanned and found no viruses, however I suspect she hasn't updated her DAT files which she is now about to do. Watch out for George.W. sending you any messages.

Regards

Roger

Archived