one-off sim card/roaming

dragon167

When I first cam e here I bought a 2nd hand phone, Nokia 5510 at MBK - 2000 Baht, Then I got the pre-paid Sim Card.

One off fee for Sim Card - 1500 Baht, Cards are of 500 Baht each.

All up including phone 4000 Baht, when the phone card runs out, the number stays "live" for three months, after which you loose the number.

Top up cards 500 Baht each.

You can bring a hand set from Over Seas to Thailand, but they dont all work here. Thai's very clever at protecting monopolies make it hard to use "Foreign" handsets.

However Nokia 5110 and 6110 are all able to use the Sim Cards. Therefore saving yourself 2000 Baht.

Expensive to start off, but cheap in the long run compered to using International Roaming.

Originally posted by dragon167:

"Do you mean that you can keep the phone number forever if you top up the phone card before it's value run out?"

If you top up all the time, no problem. On one of my mobiles (One-2-Call), which I use a lot and top up all the time, the card will remain valid till August 2003. I think two years is the maximum validity possible.

The maximum amount of money that you can store on the card is 5,000 Baht.

"How many minutes did you get for a 1500 baht sim card?"

1 minute local call 5 Baht;

1 minute to other provinces 8 Baht (I think).

1-2-call sims are about to change fee stucture but currently they are 5.5 bhat per min in province.. 6 to neighboring and 12 bhat to distant provinces

you get about 3 months when you start and when you when you add either 500 or 800 you get an extra month on your time limit. or 1500 bhat will get you 2 months extra

No you do not loose the number if you do not use it in that time limit. you just can not recieve incoming calls. in other words, even if you have no baht credit on you sim card you can still recieve calls until the time credit expires

Originally posted by whosyourdaddy:

" ... and when you when you add either 500 or 800 you get an extra month on your time limit. or 1500 bhat will get you 2 months extra"

Nope. 500 Baht gets you one month more, 800 Baht two months and 1,500 Baht four months.

Archived