Compact Flashcard in Bangkok

Stickman

Does anyone have any idea of a shop in Bangkok where you can get a compact flashcard in Bangkok at a reasonable price? Searching the net, I see you can get a 128 MB card in the US for around $US55 but here in Bangkok, the same card goes for about 10,000 Baht, about four times the price! Any help, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Stick

Hello Stick,

Had I seen this post a couple of days ago, I

could have brought you one from America. But,

I fly out for BKK (the big move) in less than

24 hours; and, things are hectic to say the

least. However, I do a have friend from San

Francisco who will be arriving in BKK on Sept

4. He is also into digital photography. I'm sure he would be glad to bring one for me to give to you. So, if you would like to do this send me an e-mail (hotmail address isin my profile. When I get to BKK, I'll check my hotmail.I will send you an e-mail which will provide you with my mobile phone number in BKK. Then call me, say on Aug. 25, or Aug. 26 in BKK; and, if you want, I'll call my friend and arrange to bring the memory card

for you. I got an Olympus, 128 MG card in New

York city; but, I can't remember what I paid.

You may remember me from our meeting at The

Golden Beer Bar, and also I saw you once at

Woodstock. I hope I can be of service to you.

We should get together and talk shop. I look

forward to hearing from you. E-mail address

(just in case): ykcim2001@hotmail.com wink.gif" border="0

Stickman,

That net ad is suspicious. 128MB cards easily cost over USD$100 last time I checked in the States. I thought I saw them in a 3rd floor Panthip shop towards the street on the right side of the building (as you're facing the building while standing in front), for THB7,500 or so. Not sure of the exact location or of the exact price. But, I don't think the price disparity is as heartbreaking as your preliminary info has indicated. I'll do some more research, and get back to you. I'll be in BKK in December if NP Pete, or some other cool dude, hasn't already taken care of you. smile.gif" border="0

PS--Hey NP Pete,

Stickman needs a Compact Flash Card, not an Olympus-style Smartmedia Card. Important distinction!

Stickman--Okay, 128MB costs between $150 and $160, plus $5 shipping, from any reputable US dealer, right now. Some companies are having a price war and are offering a $30 rebate right now, which brings your post-rebate delivered price to about $130, at best.

Shop around in BKK before asking me or Pete to bring you a memory card. That way, you won't be obligated to buy one of us a beer and socialize with either of our sorry asses. laugh.gif" border="0

[ August 22, 2001: Message edited by: vtombrown ]

Stickman,

The shop I know in Panthip that carries it is right at the exit on the second floor by the walkover. They carry both Smartmedia and the flash memory you're looking for. I remember their price being reasonably competitive.

If you are still not satisfied with the comparative US vs Thai price, I'm going to Singapore on 07 Sep and would be willing to pick one up for you there. In the event that you don't remember who I am or have lost my email, you can reach me at my alter-ego:

lamock_chokaprret@yahoo.com

Archived