monitors at pantip plaza

I was looking at 19" Sony monitors at Pantip plaza and they go for 29000 baht. The same monitor is 16000 baht in the US. Why is Pantip so much more? Is there a way get a more competitive price?

Makes me think about getting one of the refurbs, but I have no experience in this area.

Have a look at the 19" Samsung ones. Think they're called SyncMaster 900NF. They sell for about 19 000 at Panthip and the image quality is better then the Sony's...

Cheers

Down here in Indonesia they also charge a premium for Sony monitors, but LG, MAG, Philips and Samsung's all start at about USD400. I doubt the price difference amounts to USD250 more of eye strain. Furthermore you can probably find a CRT with a Sony tube that is quite a bit less than a Sony itself. While I woouldn't venture to guess which is best, or better, I would say that Samsung's are worlds better than they used to be.

Think I'll disagree with Adik Gede here. While you'll find a number of makers of Trinitron tubes (a technology licensed by Sony) I don't think that Sony actually manufactures tubes for resale by other companies. When you buy a Sony, you're paying for both picture quality and reliability. I happen to be fan of their products. While you can argue that some monitors have slightly better quality it is hard to make the same argument for reliability. I would also like to say that, while I am a fan, the Sony flat screen monitors may not be up to some of the competition in picture quality.

The third floor (I think) of Panthip Plaza has a section selling used monitors. A friend recently picked up a NEC 21" for about B10,000. Couple of years old and not a flat screen (but close) with an excellent picture.

Originally posted by Lamock Chokaprret:

While you'll find a number of makers of Trinitron tubes (a technology licensed by Sony) I don't think that Sony actually manufactures tubes for resale by other companies. When you buy a Sony, you're paying for both picture quality and reliability.

Good point I was lumping manufactured by and licensed technology together. However your point begs the question, if Capetronics* manufactures a monitor for Sony is it better than a monitor that they manufacture for another vendor? I suspect that an aperture grill trinatron tube manufactured by a company like Capetronics for Sony is comparable to a aperture grill trinatron tube manufactured by Capetronics for Dell. Any difference in price is probably a brand premium.

The most import thing about choosing a monitor is that you have a chance to use it first.

*They have stopped by the way.

I like sony's. Funny enough I always had NEC's at work.

Right now, I can definitely tell you that Mechwarrior looks much to good on my cheapy mag 800V i got at Panthip for just over 14K.

This is my second Mag monitor in five years and I'm pretty happy with it as a gamer. Believe you me when I say I spend a lot of time in front of a computer and have not had an eye strain problem. Then again, I tweak everything to get at least adequate FPS.

Colors may not be as crisp as an NEC's, but I'm not doing color printer driver matching with Mechwarrior. smile.gif" border="0

<<burp>>

[ December 22, 2001: Message edited by: gummigut ]

Archived