VCD players

bibblies

• 3 weeks later...

If u have a 'puter u can always just bang the cd in and open up the file inside the mpg folder with media player. I do have a vcd player but its just as easy to use the 'puter, plus the sound is better as I have hooked the soundcard up to an amp with stereo speakers

I belive VCD is not the same as DVD in the states (or DVD anywhere else, for that matter). VCD is an older format than DVD and cannot hold as much information as the DVD disc. VCD never got popular in my part of the world, i.e. Europe -- but is widely spread in Asia.

Most modern DVD players, however, are able to read the VCD format. Check the documentation for your particular model!

No VCD is something different than DVD. It apparently only became populat in Asia. For a standard movie you need two CD disks, and the movie can just be played, no multilanguage choices etc. like on DVD. However the quality of sound and picture is quite good, I would say the same as a video. I guess the technology and the equipment to play it (about 80 dollar for a reasonable player in Bangkok) is to cheap for producers to create a market in Europe or Asia. But in Thailand you can benefit from it.

Wow! This thread suddenly sprang back to life!

I finally found what I needed in Iseetan - a AV/RF modulator for 590 Baht. I later saw one in Pantip Plaza for 480, without bargaining.

I tried your suggestion, whosyourdaddy, and the place* looked promising, but the lady assistants there didn't have a fucking clue. One just shrugged her shoulders and invited me to look for myself. And no, it wasn't busy..

*I think it was Radio Shack - it seemed to be in the right place and had Radio Shack branded components, but it was called something different.

Archived