Best Mobile Phone

aussiedoug

Could some person actually living in Thailand please tell me which is the better phone network to connect to if buying a phone in Thailand. I need to know which has the most coverage in the country, not just in Bangkok, and which ones allow roaming or using the thai phone number overseas.

This is not to be confused with using a foreign phone in Thailand. Thank you.

AussieDoug,

I use AIS (unfortunately a Shinawata owned company)and I have experienced no blackspots other than the ususal encountered in other countries. I have used my phone all over Thailand, and can vouch for the coverage, it even works in Issan villages.

I took out the International roaming, and AIS have reciporical agreements with all major international networks. Tested so far in UK, Mainland Europe, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Hong Kong, Singapore and Mainland China.

Only failures have been USA, Japan and Malaysia, but this is due to my handset not being compatable with those countries networks operating protocol.

Hope this is of some help

AIS and DTAC are both GSM (AIS is 900 and DTAC 1800). Both have roaming agreements in most countries where GSM exists, including Malaysia.

DTAC is a smaller company and they have less coverage then AIS, especially in small villages in Northern Thailand or Isaan. But they are growing fast and they are catching up.

As we all know AIS is controlled by Shinawatra mad.gif" border="0, so if you are not going to travel to far from the tourist areas you should go with DTAC.

quote:

Originally posted by Mekong:

AussieDoug,

I use AIS (unfortunately a Shinawata owned company)and I have experienced no blackspots other than the ususal encountered in other countries. I have used my phone all over Thailand, and can vouch for the coverage, it even works in Issan villages.

AIS almost certainly does have the most extensive coverage within Thailand, but YMMV -- for example AIS does *not* work in large patches of the TW (Thai Wife)'s amphur (in Nahkon Phanom province). If you're relying on being able to use it in some specific up-country location, best to gauge local conditions before buying (but it's probably the case that if AIS doesn't work then none will).

Archived