KSC Internet - Pile of absolute crap !!!!!

KSC internet is an embarrassment!

I have 4 internet packages on my computer and KSC is the worst by a mile. It costs 6 baht an hour for the internet time and 600 baht in telephone costs to constantly reconnect.

Is anyone else experiencing difficulty with KSC?

I agree Phil, about 3 years ago I brought a KSC prepaid package in Phuket, it never worked despite many many calls to their support staff, who in the end wouldn't even talk to me. They told me to throw it away and buy another one!! I tried them here in BKK a couple of years later but it spent more time tring to dial in a reconnect than I spent on line. For the last 2 years I use Samart who I find reasonably satisfactory, bit slow but doesn't drop out and the prepaid 110 hour packs can be brought for 800 baht.

I use ClickTA, the ISP provided by Telecom Asia. It is free (too a point) 3 Baht for two hours, that being the cost of a local phone call. I just have to suffer the "dropout" every 2 hours, but at this price I can suffer that.

Only problems encountered are severe Net congestion between 4-7 pm when the sprogs get home from school, but I still keep my conection.

Actualy considering using the ISDN service offered by UBC, anyone have any experience of this package?

I went to the ClickTA site, but it is all in Thai. Is there an English version of the site?

Can anyone recommend a reliable ISP to use during a short visit to Bangkok. I don't mind paying as much as 300Baht or so for hourly dial-up access.

I've tried three internet packages.

CS Internet

KSC

Samart

KSC is the one that I continually use. I use the one in the black packaging called Time Machine and it's 8 baht/hour.

CS Internet was also very good. Bangkok life, and it's cheaper when I'm usually online (after 12pm).

Samart was by far the worst. 7 baht/hour only between midnight and 8am or whatever. Otherwise 11 baht/hour or some such. Dropped calls, invalid username verification (though it works an hour or two later) and slow connect speeds.

I can't seem to connect higher than 31.2k, normally 28.8. I understand this has to do with my buildings crappy telephone system.

KSC has been working well for me, but setting it up was a pain because I have to dial "*" to get an outside line and the setup was barfing on the "*" character as an invalid phone number. Had to have customer service setup my original account. Since then, no problems.

<<burp>>

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

KSC internet is an embarrassment!

I have 4 internet packages on my computer and KSC is the worst by a mile. It costs 6 baht an hour for the internet time and 600 baht in telephone costs to constantly reconnect.

Is anyone else experiencing difficulty with KSC?

Agree. Use to have KSC with a 1500 bhat telephone bill because of constantly reconnecting. PURE SHIT

quote:

Originally posted by Jason:

Can anyone recommend a reliable ISP to use during a short visit to Bangkok. I don't mind paying as much as 300Baht or so for hourly dial-up access.

I use Loxinfo pre-paid internet time while in LOS. You can order and re-fill on-line. It's about 750 baht for 75 hrs or so.

The service has worked excellent all over Thailand, for example in Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Hua Hin and Phuket.

However, they seem a bit slow in BKK. But it might just be that the telephone lines where I stay is a mess & underdimensioned (South of Silom).

LoxInfo Main Page

LoxInfo Temporary Internet On-line

While I was in BKK, I tried about four different services including KSC...they ALL were terrible.

I suspect that the Thai infrastructure may be the biggest problem as the phone lines are ancient and held together with chicken wire and gecko spit.

Also, make sure to get yourself a personal firewall such as Black Ice or one of the free ones. When I installed my firewall in BKK, it picked up on all sorts of port probes and other activity. Much more so than in the USA. Apparently, there are a lot of folks in Thailand with time on their hands and nothing better to do than hack computers.

My wife knew a student at Chula who used to hack into all sorts of things and never had to pay for his cruddy KSC account! wink.gif" border="0

I use loxinfo, works ok much of the time.

Getting a good phone line makes a big difference.

In my condo ( on bkk) I have 2 phone lines, one from the condo and one private, needless to say, the one supplied by the condo is crap ( even voice calls have problems)

In Phuket the local access ## ( I access it form Neptuna hotel) is good, faster than bkk by a little.

too bad the wireless systems did not catch on, I think it would be the way to go ( and probably will eventually)

Archived