Iffy satellite systems, info needed.

radioman

Hi,

Just talking with a friend today about satellite TV systems. My apartment provides a UBC subset of channels for which I'm paying almost top whack. The story goes that complete systems are available to buy for about 4k baht in Ban Moh, complete with card. I'd be interested to know if anybody has experience of these or knows if UBC splats their cards regularly to block the dodgy ones.

We are planning a recce for early next week to see what we can discover so any info would be useful.

Ta muchly,

M.

Hi Radioman,

When i was staying at the Centrepoint I asked UBC for this. When the apartment building delivers a subset of UBC, that means that they have their own boxes and after that supply everything to the TV's in the building. You cannot put a box in your apartment then.

I am in a new apartment buidling now where they not supply any UBC channel but give you the opportunity to install your own box. Then it is possible.

Last month after some trouble with my box, the technician replaced the smartcard in my box. He said that they are replacing all the smartcards for better piracy protected ones and that they will switch off the old cards after they have done that, I think he said early next year. So any box and card that you buy now will be wurthless next year.

Better call UBC and get their advice.

PS: Was information of procuring illigal things on this board not banned. Maybe we will be gagged now?

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: think1stbkk ]

Thanks Think1st,

Good info about the smart cards, just the sort of thing I'm interested to know. The system I'm talking about is the complete works, dish, LNB, receiver, and decoder with card so no worries about the existing system. A neighbour has a pukka system installed so should be no problem and setting it up is not an issue, at least for me.

If it turns out that a discussion of this nature is not appreciated then please feel free to delete it and accept my humblest apologies.

M.

Sat. UBC is only available in some areas.. Some apt can only get on certain floors and areas.. You must have a direct line of site facing ?north?.

Cable TV is again only available on certain floors. Cable TV can only be installed on low rise apt for some reason. So some apt with upper floors ?14+? will not be able to get either cable or sat. UBC.

From what I've been told as I don't have UBC myself is that you can run two tellies off of one decoder so if your neighbour has a pukka unit see if you can split the signal and the cost?

Don't know if you both have to watch the same prog at the same time though!

As for the iffy services, a mate of mine had one and it was nothing but hassle, he had to change the smart card every week. O.K. if the shop is next door but if you have to go to the next town!!! A major pain. He ended up getting in the pukka service.

Archived