digital camera suggestions

I was thinking about picking up a digital camera before my trip for taking some ummm scenic shots. smile.gif" border="0

Anyhoo, I've been looking into the Fuji Finepix 1300 and 2300. The latter is only $20 more so I was thinking on picking that one up. The Fuji 2300 is $199.00 at circuit city. tongue.gif" border="0

I was wondering if anyone has some other brand recommendations. The olympus d-370 looks good but can't find any reviews on that on the net.

btw, are the hotel power outlets safe to use for recharging battery packs, electric shavers, and such or do I need to get a converter? Appreciate any info guys.

[ September 25, 2001: Message edited by: tyler_durden ]

tyler_durden:

I've had good luck with the sony fd series.

Saves the image on a regular fd.

I got the newer cd-1000, but kind of a pain to use, ( especially if you use a mac and do a lot of pic,,, i just turned over 10K pic on mine, sucked up a lot of mini cdrs)

b4 this I had a fd-5 and fd-91, the 91 was great.

I have had several digital cameras. When all is said and done the last one I've gotten is by far the best. It is a NIKON COOLPIX 990. It does so many more things than the other digitals and the pixel quality is fantastic. So I would say buy a good one the first time since the damn things are obsolete so quick. shocked.gif" border="0

I think you would be better off with the 2300 as it has more pixels. Since you imply that you are getting the camera for pictures of people, check the comparometer chart at Imaging Resource. I have a Cannon S20 and a Nikon Coolpix 995. Both are 3 megapixel cameras, but the imaging sensor on the Cannon gives me a little too much brown color for skin tones while the Nikon gives me too much red. It is much easier to correct too much red than too much brown, so I prefer the Nikon for people pictures. Also the Nikon allows use of an external flash. For general pictures, I prefer the Cannon as I can use automatic for the highest resolution while with the Nikon I have to use manual.

Thanks for the great info so far guys. I just came back from circuit city and ritz cameras. Fuck camera shopping is frustrating as hell! I've checked out epinions.com as well and alot of cameras have certain drawbacks. The most obvious and ever present is battery suckage. Some cameras suck up batteries like a hoover it seems.

Ya know what was pathetic? I researched a bit on the internet before heading to the stores. The service/expertise factor of salespeople has gone to shit! I knew more about the cameras than the pimply faced sales jockies!

I'd like a digital camera for convenience and some measure of quality. Uploading to the PC is the biggest reason I want a digital camera. Saves money and embarrasment if something explicit got slipped in. tongue.gif" border="0

Since I'm no Ansel Adams, I'm not looking for a "swiss army knife" camera. Idiot proof, battery duration, and a margin of picture quality is all I want.

At one point, I was gonna break down and buy the canon elph 2 non-digital camera. It was small, all metal, and no hassle. Thing is, it's NOT what I went to the store for. I'm gonna research a bit more now. frown.gif" border="0 I'm probably gonna buy the Fuji 2300. It's $199.00 + $29.00(32 memory) + $49.99 (freakin rechargable batteries!) + $29.99(ac adaptor) = @#$% sonofa $307.98.... mad.gif" border="0 Mebbe I will buy the canon elph 2 $174.00. God I hate shopping. Sorry for my rambling guys, I'm an idiot. blush.gif" border="0

I'd agree with Tomc12 about the Canon and Nikon, especially the Nikon 995. You really can't go wrong with either of those choices. One question you should ask yourself, though. What do you plan to do with the pictures you take? Print them or store them in your computer? If you're planning to make prints, then you really need one of the 3.3 megapixel cameras to get decent quality prints. I recommend one of the new Epson printers such as the 870. On the other hand, if you're sure you'll only be viewing your photos on the computer, emailing them or for creating a webpage, go with one of the 2.2 megapixel cameras -- they're much cheaper and more than adequate for that purpose.

Tyler,

You have my sympathy. I remember how confused I was when I first got started in digital photography. If all you want to do is take pictures to display on your monitor or email to friends, stick with a one megapixel camera. The picture files are smaller so you don't need as much memory and they don't drain the battery as much. Consider one that uses regular AA batteries as rechargeable batteries are expensive as is the battery charger. By the way, most battery chargers will not require a converter for use in Thailand. If you want to display the best quality picture your monitor can do, consider the math involved. If you have a monitor, set to a resolution of 640 X 480, that comes out to around 300,000 pixels displayed. For your camera to make a picture that fills the screen, multiply the total pixels by 3 (true color requires 3 bytes/pixel) and you have about a 1 Mb picture file. A 32 Mb storage card will hold 32 pictures. Compressing the picture file or taking smaller pictures will increase the amount of pictures stored. However the more you compress the file the more the picture suffers when it is uncompressed. If your monitor has a resolution of 1024 X 768, a 2.4 Mb picture file is required and so forth. The point is don't be so concerned about the camera maker. Most of the name brands will take perfectly acceptable pictures. Concern yourself with the number of pictures you want to take and the size of the picture file.

Check out www.costco.com . You can buy the COOLPIX 995 and 64 mb card at a very reasolnable price. costco sells the 64mb card for about $40.00. Good Deal and delivered to your door. Pay with a credit card and this gives you moire recourse and in some cases extended warranty. shocked.gif" border="0

Archived