digital camera suggestions

I like the Olympus cameras, I use a C920 but any of the models are good. I also prefer the SmartMedia cards with the floppy adapter, most of the Net cafes will let you put the software on their computer and you can post some pictures during your visit.

Olympus cameras are very popular but I own a Fuji 2900 and it's been awesome. Only seen one I'd take over it. The Canon IXus. Mate had one in Pattaya (Sep trip) and it took great shots, mpegs, and is smaller than a pack of cigarettes. Retails in my location for $350. I had two Sony's and they broke so I'm done with Sony.

Smitty

Well, I'm no expert and it was my first digital camera but here is my story. I bought a Canon Digital Elph. Has a 64 Mb card which is good for about 120 pictures at 1200x1600 pixils. Hooks up to my computer with a USB cable and also has a Video cable to hook up to the TV. If you leave the viewer turned off you can get around 120 pictures before needing a re-charge. About 60-80 with it on. Biggest problem in LOS was every girl wants to see her picture and the screen will run the battery down in 55 minutes total time. The battery charger accepts 110 or 220 Volts. Best thing about tha camera is it will fit in my pocket or sunglass case. If it is too big, I just don't bother to bring it. Paid $400 at Best Buy.

In your price range, I'd buy an Olympus D100. I bought mine at BestBuy.

I also have a more expensive Olympus C3030. If I had to buy another expensive camera, it probably would be the Nikon 995.

Yup. Confusing. Don't worry too much. The market forces are strong, and in any given price range, you will get about the same "bang for your buck," regardless of your choice.

Happy shooting!!! laugh.gif" border="0

The latest issue of Consumer Reports magazine (November 2001, p. 36-39) tested and rated 12 digital cameras.

It rated 2-megapixel cameras in this order:

1. Olympus Camedia C-2040 Zoom ($500)

2. Toshiba PDR-M61 ($300)

3. Sony CD Mavica MVC-CD1000 ($1,000);

4. Sony FD Mavica MVC-FD97 ($900)

5. Polaroid PhotoMAX PDC-2300Z ($400)

6. Fujifilm FinePix 2300 ($280)

7. Kodak DX3500 ($300)

It rated 3&4 megapixel cameras in this order:

1. Canon PowerShot G1 ($800);

2. Olympus Camedia C-3040 ($800);

3. Olympus Camedia E-10 ($1,800);

4. Fujifilm FinePix 6800 Zoom ($900)

5. Toshiba PDR-M65 ($600)

Their comments on the Fujifilm FinePix 2300 that you mentioned being interested in:

"Very good overall. Low viewfinder accuracy. No zoom or lens cover. Shallow grip for holding. LCD image relatively bright. USB connection only. No video output for TV. Hard to change flash mode. Software: Adobe PhotoDeluxe 4."

One good thing: the 2300 can take 860 shots before the battery dies, the most of all 12 cameras. One bad thing: it has the longest next-shot delay (8 seconds!) By comparison, the Fujifilm 6800 has a 1-second delay.

Hope this helps.

[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: mikem ]

Archived