anonymous website

I have registered a few names that I want to use to start a new website regarding the nightlife. However, I figure anyone can find out who is running the website by browsing through the 'who is' registries, that are freely available. Does anyone know a way around this. Do certain registries allow for running the website under an alias or anonymous? Can you change the name of the registrant(fill in an alias name), after registering?

You can change the details after you have registered but it can be problematic and lengthy to do. Netsol for example take upto 6 weeks and require signatures from a notary public (or equivalent)

Most registries are fairly slack about the name you use to register. However, you will have a problem with this if anyone challenges your use of the name.

In considering domain name disputes ican will look at the name you used to register. Some people who have used fake name or non existent company names have lost them this way.

Why not use your real name but a PO Box address. That should give a balance between protecting your interests and your privacy.

I dared to go to some of the sites where I registered my names. I did not know, but it seems to be so that you can change about everything, names, addresses, e-mail address etc. I guess they just keep a permanent code for the registered name.

Archived