Jesus...more computer problems

I'm having all sorts of problems with microsoft windows applications. In no particular order

In Word every time I want to insert bullet points I get the message 'Error in Winword' and the program closes. I cannot save any document either - it says that 'program does not have sufficient memory' (never come across this before)

I can't open Notepad at all.

In Front page every ime I try to view the HTML I get an error message and the program closes.

Because the above 3 functions are the ones I use most of all I'm kinda buggered.

Should I take it into a repair shop who will no doubt want to re-format the whole bloody thing or is it any use trying to re-install Windows myself (or is that going to get me into more trouble?)

Phil

Hi!

Bangkok Phil

quote:

I'm having all sorts of problems with microsoft windows applications.

Never heard that before. laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

It's probably not much of a consolation but I have been a software engineer for 20+ years and I to have major problems with applications from MicroShaft.

Your problem could be that you have a faulty version of Windows. I assume that you have purchased a pirated copy in BKK. It could also have been corrupted after installation.

I suggest that you reinstall Windows. Make sure that you have copies of all important documents before you start. Installation is quite easy and straight forward if everything works. If it doesn't work get another copy of windows. Make sure it is a recent release so you don't get an old beta release. The worst thing that can happen is tha you are wasting your time.

I once bought a copy of Win95 under which any application would crash afer ~20 minutes.

Hardware failures are rare in modern computers but they do occur. As a last resort take the computer to the repair shop.

regards

ALHOLK

P.S

Q: What did Bill Gates' wife say in the morning after the wedding night.

A: Now I know where you got the name MicroSoft.

BP,

I had something similar happen to Word when I installed a copy of Dragon Naturally Speaking a couple of years ago. It didn't install properly and must have buggered up Word too. I never got to the bottom of it because in the meantime my very aging computer's HD crashed anyway. I lost a lot of stuff.

Back up all your important data now, and try reinstalling Windows as Alholk suggests.

Good luck, mate.

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

I'm having all sorts of problems with microsoft windows applications...

Mr. Phil,

Before you do something as drastic as reinstalling your OS, you should try uninstalling and reinstalling the malfunctioning applications first.

Word is a part of the Microsoft Office product and Office must generally be uninstalled in toto and usually may be reinstalled modularly. Start >> Settings >> Control Panels >> Add/Remove Programs, then use the Install/Uninstall tab.

Notepad is another matter. I believe it is simply a free-standing executable, but it may have a dependance on a .dll which is assumed to be present when Windows is installed.

I neither use nor have FrontPage. It may be uninstallable a la Word/Office above, or may be listed under the Windows Setup tab of the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel.

You can probably see that all three of the troublesome programs do essentially the same thing -- reformat text. It's likely that their problems have the same root, perhaps a corrupted .dll file. By reinstalling as many programs as possible you increase your chances of repairing the problem by restoring a fresh copy of the dependant file.

If you have the time and patience, inspecting Microsoft's site and the lists of files installed with each program might help you isolate which particular file went bad.

Would I be correct in assuming that this problem arose shortly after you installed a new piece of software, reconfigured your system, worked on your registry or suffered a crash?

One last ugly -- albeit unlikely -- thought is that you've got a virus in your system which has overwritten some part of your hard drive and wiped out files needed by those applications. Run a virus check to be on the safe side.

2YL

Phil:

I have to disagree with Alholk here and agree with 2yellowlines.

Especially if you are using Office 2000. If you are using Office 2000, there are a NOTORIOUS amounts of problems with the initial offering of Office 2000. At minimum you need to install the sr1a patch. The patch replaces more than a few dll's located in the system directory and that are globally shared. Problem is that the patch is roughly in the neighborhood of 26 megabytes (gives you an idea of just how screwed up the initial version was) and a bitch to download if you are in Thailand, hehe.

What I would find weird though is that this didn't happen after some sort of software configuration change, but maybe a dll just went bad.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

<<burp>>

Thanks guys for all the responses.

I bought another copy of Windows Millenium (pirated of course) and re-installed it on the computer but the same problems still exist. In fact I had great trouble installing the damn program and had to restart the computer on several occasions.

I guess I'm going to have to take in to a repairer.

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

Thanks guys for all the responses.

I bought another copy of Windows Millenium (pirated of course) and re-installed it on the computer but the same problems still exist. In fact I had great trouble installing the damn program and had to restart the computer on several occasions.

I guess I'm going to have to take in to a repairer.

If you are able to bring your box and software to Suk 79, I'll fix it for you. Only cost you a beer. Heck, if I am not able to fix it, beers will be on me.

Paillote

Archived