Meeting Thai / Lao People Overseas

Fidel

I recently met a Lao lady, Noi, here in Pakistan. She's an engineer who has worked for NGOs in Bhutan, North Korea, Sri Lanka, Thailand (She hates Thailand) and here in Pakistan. Cute girl in her twenties.

I was a little surprised to meet such an impressive, world-wise Lao lady.

What kind of people from Thailand/Laos have you met overseas?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

leaving one's country is often exactly what it takes to become "impressive and world-wise". I have highly educated, sophisticated thai friends in the US who would jailed--or worse--in thailand for their outspokenness, criticism of various thai institutions and symbols (such as guess-which-one), and in general not be comprehended by the majority of thais here in thailand for their--gasp--individuality and original thoughts.

likewise, the most forward-thinking, "with-it" americans you're likely to meet are those who have travelled extensively and lived overseas (sadly, a very small minority of us).

preahko

I was really surprised about the Thai tourists i met in Vietnam. They were not that different to any of us. Not really sure thats a compliment but i really enjoyed their company.

I think i was surprised because the interactions i usually have with thais are with Isaarn thais. Not that there is anything wrong with them mind you. Some of the best times of my life have been with Isaarn people but god bless them conversations of worldly issues is not their strongest point.

yes, but the ones who go overseas to study tend to learn (gasp) to "think outside the box," something very few do in thailand.

all of my "sophisticated" thai artist friends here in BKK--gallery owner, sculptor painter, DJ/musician, clothing designer, performance artist/actor--got their master's degrees, and in some cases, bachelor's, abroad.

preahko

I had a Lao girlfriend here in the US for a couple of years. I don't think her education level was very high (she did nails here). But she spoke a few languages and had some very interesting stories about being a translator for the North Vietnamese army when she was quite young. Not necessarily by choice, either.

Known a few Thai and Lao hookers in Australia, most were pleased to chat with someone who knew their countries and spoke a little Thai/Lao.

I found the Lao people a lot more worldly than Thais, Lao if full of French and other European expats and NGO workers. The older educated Lao people in particular speak English, French, Russian and several Asian languages. My ex G/F had only a basic primary education and spoke English and French with some Chinese and Vietnamese.

My ex-gf when I last lived in Australia was a Thai doing her Masters Of Communication degree there in Melbourne.

A smart, inteligent worldly girl who has travelled to about 15 different countries now.

Don't see her anymore unfortunately, as when we both came back to LOS, her cunting hi-so parents wouldn't let her have a farang boyfriend.... (Long story!)

My last girlfriend was a Thai girl studying in Brisbane, Austraila. 22, sexy and very independent.

I think she may have been sleeping with her 'host father' but hey, the sex was good and she was fun to go out with..

She liked being away from her parents because she could wear slutty clothes and go out drinking without getting into trouble.

When she is home in Thailand, she dresses like a nun and is home by 8pm every night..!

Met a Laos girl when I was working in a government call centre. Very confident and professional attitude, and liked girls unfortunately.

I felt like a right twat when I tried to feel her up at a drinks night after work one day.. :(

Archived