Meeting Thai / Lao People Overseas

Fidel

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found the Lao people a lot more worldly than Thais, Lao if full of French and other European expats and NGO workers. The older educated Lao people in particular speak English, French, Russian and several Asian languages.

yes, and also the lao are not brainwashed from an early age that they are the greatest race on the planet and all others are basically trash, as unfortunately the thais are.

preahko

Dunno about that. I've had Laotians tell me how superior they are to Thais and Vietnamese. The Vietnamese also look down on their neighbours, just as the Cambodians think they are the greatest. But at least they don't think that Farangs are savages -- not after they got conquered and ruled by the Froggies.

Oddly enough the only Thais I've met here at home was at an In n Out burger of all places. Two sisters, and their parents who were here visiting on holiday. I'd have guessed them all to be Chinese until I heard them conversing in the native tongue. Didn't talk to them much, but they were nice enough, and all got a good laugh at my feeble attempts to speak Thai.

Dunno about that. I've had Laotians tell me how superior they are to Thais and Vietnamese. The Vietnamese also look down on their neighbours, just as the Cambodians think they are the greatest. But at least they don't think that Farangs are savages -- not after they got conquered and ruled by the Froggies.

In my perception, Lao feelings of superiority to Thai mainly relate to morality, and a lot of that has been taught to them by their soviet-style, highly puritanical communist government. that is, they see thailand as a den of immoral gamblers, money-grubbing swindlers, robbers, murderers and rampant prostitution. it's a double-edged sword, though: they also highly envy the thais for their economic prosperity, literature, entertainment industry, etc.

No, Cambodians definitely do not think they are the greatest--at least not in the present day. They think that they once *were* the greatest (in the Angkorian era, when all of the land from present-day southern vietnam to burma and from malaysia up into laos was ruled by them), but nowadays they have terrible self-esteem and focus all their thoughts on the past. They could learn a thing or two from the thais (and vietnamese)...

and correct, Cambodians don't think the farangs are savages like the thais do: that's another one of their problems, IMNSHO! they worship us, even after all the shit we've done to them: the american bombing in the late 60s/early 70s, the dumping of AIDS on them by United Nations occupying soldiers, etc. they need to find a middle ground between thinking we can do no wrong and the thais' utter disdain of us.

preahko

A Brit colleague was in Malaysia a few years ago and got asked by some Malays where he was from. He thought, "Oh, no ... I'm going to get a lecture about colonialism." But when he told them he was English, they replied: "When are you coming back. Things were so much better when you ruled the country."

:dunno:

• 5 years later...

Archived