Meeting Thai / Lao People Overseas

Fidel

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I have written before about some high level Thais who complained to me, "The problem with THailand is it was never colonized"

DOG

As long as the thread was dug up, I may as well comment.

Just look at how wonderful the countries that were colonised are doing - Burma, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia, Bangladesh, North Korea etc etc.

As long as the thread was dug up, I may as well comment.

Just look at how wonderful the countries that were colonised are doing - Burma, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia, Bangladesh, North Korea etc etc.

Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, The USA?

Was North Korea ever colonized?

I do like that avatar either way.

All of Korea was Japan's colony until the end of WWII. Singapore, like North Korea, is a one family dictatorship - a much nicer family than the Kims though. (The Lee family are Thaksin's inspiration.) Malaysia has serious ethnic problems, caused by the Brits bringing in large numbers of Indians and Chinese.

Australia, the US and Kiwiland were settled by Brits and west Europeans. The native folks in those lands probably wouldn't think being colonised was such a good thing. :hmmm:

And I wouldn't say India especially benefited by being partitioned by the Brits.

BTW if you go to the National Museum of the PDR Laos, you will see very little on American support for the former anti-communist government. You will see murals of the evil French slaughtering the locals and stuffing the bodies into wells. Google and you can probably find photos of late 19th century French soldiers posing cheerfully with the piles of Vietnamese they had just slaughtered in taking over the country. Being colonised by the Brits was one thing; being taken over by the French was quite another matter. It was the French who planned to seize all of Issan. It is a wonder it never happened.

p.s. Finally, my avatar is being recognised. Time to mount Shergar and do a runner again.

Archived