games loading slowly

I got myself a fresh supply of games. However I ran into a strange problem with some of them. Loading the games takes a long time(I actually though they did not load, until I left my computer for awhile, and noticed them finishing loading after about 15 minutes!). One loaded, I can play very well, no delays, no problems. Since this happened with some expansions packs(when the settings and requirements are the same as with the original games, that I used to run well), I really am puzzled about this. I have more than sufficient space, defragmented my disk, and have 256 memory, which should be more than adequate. I suspect is has something to do with me installing the latest DirectX from the disks, possibly this version is too good for my present setup (500Mhz, Windows 98 version 2). When checking the DirectX though, it does not indicate any problems. Is this possible, or am I overlooking something here? How can I go about it, should I delete the present DirectX and go look for an older version? Any suggestions wellcome.

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: choopthai ]

quote:

Originally posted by choopthai:

I got myself a fresh supply of games. However I ran into a strange problem with some of them. Loading the games takes a long time(I actually though they did not load, until I left my computer for awhile, and noticed them finishing loading after about 15 minutes!). One loaded, I can play very well, no delays, no problems. Since this happened with some expansions packs(when the settings and requirements are the same as with the original games, that I used to run well), I really am puzzled about this. I have more than sufficient space, defragmented my disk, and have 256 memory, which should be more than adequate. I suspect is has something to do with me installing the latest DirectX from the disks, possibly this version is too good for my present setup (500Mhz, Windows 98 version 2). When checking the DirectX though, it does not indicate any problems. Is this possible, or am I overlooking something here? How can I go about it, should I delete the present DirectX and go look for an older version? Any suggestions wellcome.

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: choopthai ]

Direct x would only be used for playing the games, not loading, even if your direct x was obsolite, the games would not play at all, not run slowly.

Sounds like a cd problem to me? Are they complitaion cds. If so the unpacking/unzipping of the games does make it very slow. Also could be a dirty cd or laser head. try cleaning both. If not upgrade your machine. Although a 500 is ok, it is the bare min for some of the newer games. I think you would only have about 6 months left before some games wont run on a 500 MHZ

WYD

quote:

Originally posted by whosyourdaddy:

Thanks for the input. I went to the website and downloaded a patch (I guess the games sold at Pantip may not be the latest version). There was some remarkable improvement. It takes only about 5 minutes now. Your suggestion about the CD may be somewhat correct. I found out that when removing the CD after it stopped 'working'(the blinking lights go off), for tome reason then the loading gets finished shortly thereafter. Beats me what is the reason for that, just observed it.

About 500 Mhz. Yes, I have to start reading the requirements on a lot of the games already. But expansions usually do not give problems, the requirements being similar to the ones for the original.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind that some of the cds sold in Phanthip are of very poor quality and often have physical defects (visible if you turn the cd over).

I've had games not load properly because the cd drive cannot read from a certain part of the disc. Very frustrating if you have already been playing the game for a while and it crashes at a certain spot.

Cheers!

Archived