USA cell phone in BKK

Old Hippie

Old hippie:

I've had a little experience with this.

I was bringing motorola "flip phones" with me for a while.

it was when cell phones in Bkk were "big bux"

( by thai standards anyway).

We were selling them for abotu $50 usd ea. and some of the less than honest dealers were changing the info in them to work as a second phone using an existing account. ( just try not to be on the phones with the same ## at the same time)

But now phones/plans are a fairly good deal in thailand ( the service quality is not so hot though) so it does not pay to do any fiddeling with the phones.

If you have a "useless" phone, bring it and give it to someone. seems to be a real status symbol, regardless of wheather it works ( or even has a battery in it for that matter)

also, if you want to see if the phone is compatible, just turn it on in bkk and see if it gets a antenna signal.

Mite even work for 1699 calls to tourist police.

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

I have an old Nokia cell phone, analog and digital. I was wondering if it is possible to bring to LOS and establish an accout with a local provider. Or if I can give the phone to someone there to use? Any info on this? Thank you.

Is the phone you are speaking of a GSM phone?

USA GSM Networks, where they exist, use 1900mhz .

Most other countries use 900 and 1800mhz

You can find out more at www.gsm.org

• 2 weeks later...

Man, it would be so cool if the 2 way (radio)feature of my Nextel phone worked in Thailand. I could beep my friends here and give them the "play by play"! Hehehehe...unfortunately I found out the radio part isn't even nationwide! It only does the state where you have service.. (Florida in my case...) Oh well....

-=/NN

• 3 weeks later...

Gents,

I'm in the US and just bought a Nokia 8890 Tri-Band Phone (Supposedly the top of the line. My service provider is Pac Bell (Cingular) wireless and there is a removable chip in the back.

Can this phone be "chipped" in Bangkok.

I promise that I have scoured the board looking for the answer to this exact question before posting this so any help is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Love2Butterfly

The problem with foreign cell phones is that you cannot put in a Thai SIM-card in them and expect phone services tied to that card to work. Same thing is true if you bring your Thaiphone to Farangland: Your Farangland SIM-card will not provide service when used in the Thai registered phone.

Now, they do have "chipping services" in Bangkok, i.e. they will manipulate the phone to accept a Thai SIM card. To my understanding this is not a mechanical procedure but a manipulation basically done through a computer.

Nokia is known to be the most complicated phone to manipulate, but I believe you can find someone who can do it here.

But, if I had a top-of-the-line Nokia threeband phone I don't think I would let any MBK-schmuck manipulate it here in Bangkok wink.gif" border="0

It seems just so much more hassle-free to bye one of the AIS or DTAC pre-paid card and phone packages. You can get your hands on a Nokia 3310 - which is an excellent phone - for about 7000-9000 baht here (around four L/T:s), including talk time worth around 1000 Baht (which unlike a S/T will last a long time). wink.gif" border="0

If you want the latest model in the consumer bracket you can get the Nokia 3330 for around 12 000 Baht.

One more thing: let's say you do manipulate your phone here...you still can only use pre-paid phone services a la "One-2-Go!", unless you have a Thai work permit.

In case you want to open shop, you'll find all the neccessary stuff for manipulating phones at:

uCables

Straycat

Archived