USA cell phone in BKK

Old Hippie

The feedback is greatly appreciated but I still don't know thw answer.

My US phone will work in Thailand however I'd be charged very high rates. (US Roaming tolls)

Therefore, I would get the phone "chipped" in Bangkok (using One2Call prepaid) but from what I understand, they will need to "tweak" the phone settings.

The million dollar question is whether the phone will need to be "tweaked" again before re-installing the original US chip when I return to the US.

The reason I ask is because if it doesn't, I could simply reinstall the US chip before flying to Cambo and Vietnam and still have roaming service there. (Albeit at the US rates)

I guess another way to aak the same thing:

Once the phone is tweaked (adjusted) in BKK, will it need to be tweaked again before using it in other countries?

If that made sense to anybody, your help is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Love2Butterfly

Love 2 Butterfly,

Your question makes sense to me, but I do not know the answer. I will be interested to see what replies you get.

I do know that a Singapore purchased phone "tweaked" to work with a Thai SIM will still work in Singapore using International roaming on the Thai Service (AIS). I have never tried to stick the Singapore SIM back into it while in Singapore, since it was a pre-paid service that had expired.

"Originally posted by THAIHOME:

"I do know that a Singapore purchased phone "tweaked" to work with a Thai SIM will still work in Singapore using International roaming on the Thai Service (AIS). I have never tried to stick the Singapore SIM back into it while in Singapore, ..."

I own several mobiles purchased in Singapore and then tuned in Bangkok to work with One-2-Call.

When taken to Singapore, the phones don't work with my SingTel pre-paid SIM cards. So, I reckon a Thailand-tuned phone would have to be re-tuned first. Makes sense to me.

Thanks Guys,

I think I'm clear.

Phone must be tweaked in BKK for the One 2Call to work. It may work back in the States but worst case is I get it re-tweaked before coming back.

I already have an Ericson phone with One2Call (time used up) but I'm selling it to a friend. Should I take the chip out of that phone to install in the Nokia or will I get a new chip when purchasing the new One2Call airtime to install on the Nokia?

Also, should I send my Thai ladyfriend to get the tweaking done in order to avoisd the Farang rate and save a few bucks or would the same tweaking charge apply to anybody?

(I'll search the board again as I believe the location of "tweaking" services was already posted)

Thanks once again everybody!

Love2Butterfly

Archived