Windows XP Preview Version - How does it expire?

Seems there was a Microsoft employee here - perhaps he, or someone else, can shed some light on this. You can find copies of build 2600 the final build) of Win XP Pro. According to the Microsoft web site the Preveiw Versions of XP will expire after 180 days.

What I don't understand is how that happens. I installed it and it works perfectly. You can even run Windows Update and it will connect to the Microsoft update site and update the drivers or software.

Once installed, I set the system date in the bios to a year from now. It still runs fine. So, it is not using the computer's date to decide to expire.

Does anyone know how it will expire - or if it will really expire at all? If anyone knows for certain it would be interesting to know. I am really not too interested in speculation as I can speculate too.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

quote:

Originally posted by supersoes:

You can find copies of build 2600 the final build) of Win XP Pro. According to the Microsoft web site the Preveiw Versions of XP will expire after 180 days.

One assumes the the Preview versions and final build 2600 versions are not the same thing. I experienced the same as you and assume it doesn't expire. But you never know ... crazy.gif" border="0

Who cares when you can already buy the final corporate OEM version at Panthip anyway?

quote:

Originally posted by supersoes:

Seems there was a Microsoft employee here - perhaps he, or someone else, can shed some light on this. You can find copies of build 2600 the final build) of Win XP Pro. According to the Microsoft web site the Preveiw Versions of XP will expire after 180 days.

What I don't understand is how that happens. I installed it and it works perfectly. You can even run Windows Update and it will connect to the Microsoft update site and update the drivers or software.

Once installed, I set the system date in the bios to a year from now. It still runs fine. So, it is not using the computer's date to decide to expire.

Does anyone know how it will expire - or if it will really expire at all? If anyone knows for certain it would be interesting to know. I am really not too interested in speculation as I can speculate too.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

I think you are going to find, steffi, that the version you bought at Phantip is going to expire in 180 days. All of those builds were preview versions as those were the only versions available during the beta testing.

according to my student who is MS certified, the copied versians do not expire, only the legal versian does, and you have to buy a new "package" from microsoft after 180 days. So I decided to install the copied versian. I am not that impressed yet. I have one piece of hardware IEEE394 card that will not install and my video driver is very limited in what the card can do. Also 4 programs on my computer ( Norton, Thai masters, Roxio Easy burning ...) did not work.

I would most definately recommend every wait until the service pack is out before installing Xp

• 3 weeks later...

Build 2600 is the final version and not the preview version. It has been available on the Internet( and also Phantip Plaza, I guess) since the end of August.

If you have the OEM version it will never expire. If you try to activate it you will get a message telling you that it has already been activated.

There are also patches available for the preview versions to removes both the "expiration" and the need to activate. The preview versions available at Phantip were probably patched.

Whosyourdaddy,

It may be a problem with your copied version of XP. I installed the IEEE 1394/firewire interface board, turned the computer on, and XP recognized it and assigned the proper driver without me having to insert the accompanying cd. Norton and Roxio easy burning also work fine.

quote:

Originally posted by tomc12:

Whosyourdaddy,

It may be a problem with your copied version of XP. I installed the IEEE 1394/firewire interface board, turned the computer on, and XP recognized it and assigned the proper driver without me having to insert the accompanying cd. Norton and Roxio easy burning also work fine.

Yeslast week roxio out a patch for the easy burner 5.1. and norton has a xp version of 2002.

my ieee card is recognized but waiting for software patches.

Archived