Internet connection in Patong

Hi All,

I will be in Patong for about three weeks in December and will need to be to connect my own laptop to the internet. Reason is that I will need to set up a secure VPN connection at times back to the office (some vacation!!)

I know I could do this using a short term connection package from Loxinfo (or whoever) and connect from my hotel room but I expect that hotel phone charges, even local calls, may be extortionate.

So the option I want to find out about is connectiong my own system via an internet cafe.

My question to anyone out there in Patong is "would the internet cafe you are in allow this? If yes yhen what is their email address?" I can then make further enquires directly.

Your help in this would be most apprecited - my research so far has thrown up very little useful information.

Thanks,

Gromit

I use VPN all the time and wouldn't consider an internet cafe for work. Imagine forgetting to logout, the problems that would cause.

The call rates in the hotel are probably cheaper anyway.

I use loxinfo while in Patong:

I stay at the Neptuna, and no extra fee for using the phone line ( been on line for up to 3 hrs sometimes).

Some of the larger places ( that have switchboards to get outside line) will really screw you over with extra charges.

See If you can contact some places in patong by email from their sites and get them to tell you what they offer. ( but saying that, they still may try to "mess" with you once you are checked in)

good luck on ur trip. too bad you got to do some real

"work" while there, but bet the ppl at your office would trade places with you in a heartbeat.

gromit-

In a soi along "Beach Rd", just between MacDonald's and Bangla Rd, one floor up from the minimart that has pirated the 7-11 look, there is an internet cafe that will allow you hook up your laptop to their system. Unfortunately, I do not remember the name of this establishment - nor do I have their email address frown.gif" border="0

When in Pattong I use my laptop to the hotel line at Baanthai Beach Resort. No hefty charges for local calls & LoxInfo has modem lines in Phuket...

Straycat

Thanks for the input guys.

KS - I know the one you are refering to as I used the place myself when I was there earlier this year, but like you I had no reason to note down their name let alone their email address. Hopefully their charges for connecting your own laptop are no more than using one of their systems.

Rictic - the idea of using my own system is that then it doesn't matter if I log out or not! Anyway, there are a couple of applications I may need that I know that they won't have.

Pasathai - I'm going on vacation! My choice of hotel is determined by a number of factors, easy / cheap computer connection is at the bottom of the list (#1 Guest friendly, #2 Breakfast served till noon - or later, #3 - Oh, I think you get the picture....). Anyway, the hotel I am staying at charges 10 Baht/min which is not too bad, you should have seen the bill for a direct dialled RAS connection BKK to UK earlier this year !!!

Thanks again for your help guys - if you're in Phuket in December, or BKK for New Year's Eve, I will gladly stand you a beer or three.

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: gromit ]

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: gromit ]

Archived