UBC, what is the deal?

UBC (satellite TV) is all the rave in Thailand. So it starts raining and I figure I will watch some TV. PSYCHE! Low signal, searching for signal, blank screen, forget about it. As it rains every day, UBC becomes an inappropriate technology every day.

In America, you get 200 channels and it works no matter the weather. Surely Thailand could service its smaller geographic cone with only 20 channels with better quality, but not to be. I can not understand how they get away with selling TV service that does not work when it rains, especially when this is supposed to be top of the line. Given UBC was most likely developed by another country, what is the deal? Is this Singapore leasing Thailand an inappropriately small sliver of bandwidth from its satellite? I know it is not just where I am because I have been in public areas and seen the TV go out there too when the rain starts.

Hi,

I know what you mean. I used to have the cable version and never any problems. Howeve, I moved and in this area there is no cable, so I had to get the satelite version.

Quality is a lot better (i.e. sharper image), but as you said it drops out a lot.

Really pissing me off at times, like when I missed the last 5 minutes of 'The fugitive'.

Sanuk!

These DirectTV systems ALL go out (even in the US) when the rain is heavy enough, as do MW systems. It can't be helped, but UBC might have done a better job of designing the system, who knows?

OK

UBC uses Ku Band, which in the tropics, is very suseptable to "Rain Fade"

There are ways around it, ie a bigger dish, but that doesn't solve all problems.

UBC is available on cable, and therefore no rain fade, but you have to be in an area with cable!

Using MDS (microwave Spectrum) is the obvious answer, and one that UBC is currently investigating.

JB

quote:

These DirectTV systems ALL go out (even in the US) when the rain is heavy enough, as do MW systems.

Have to agree. It generally took a pretty heavy thunderstorm to block the signal. Can't tell you whether the Thai system is more or less sensitive. But I know some of these rain storms we've had recently were probably heavy enough to cause the state-side reception to drop off.

At least the rainy season is nearly over. That should help.

Can anybody tell me what the pricing is like on the satellite dish systems?

Archived