Data Recovery - Crashed 20 GB Hard Drive

I'm looking for a referral to a BKK based miracle workshop that can possibly extract data files from a failed 20 GB HDD out of a Compaq Presario desktop. Quantum component, manufactured in Singapore. 3.5 inch drive, identifying data:

LB20.4AT 165133-001 P/N LB20A011 Rev 01-A

SN 874001716397 VG2XX

I have drive with its attached driver board/card.

I'm fairly certain the drive failure problem is with the drive motor. Seeking to recover Excel, Word, Outlook, and Powerpoint data files that were created/saved using an Office 2000 / Windows 98 software package. Seeking to havedata recovered onto CD ROM.

Anybody know a specific shop at Panthip that specializes in data recovery?

Thanks,

Bangkok Butterfly

Swishtz -

OK, thanks for the pointers. It appears beyond the resources of any Thai outfits. I think I'll just rebuild from scratch (actually, I have various pieces backed up, but not coherrantly).

Cheers!

Bangkok Butterfly

quote:

Originally posted by peesooahbkk:

LB20.4AT 165133-001 P/N LB20A011 Rev 01-A

SN 874001716397 VG2XX

Before you drop buckets on a repair you should check that the drive is getting voltage. If that seems OK you might picking up any Linux CD that is less than four years old and booting from the CD to see if the disk is recognised and it is not a problem with either the disk driver in your OS or the motherboards bios.

Data receovery can be real expensive. How much is the data worth? If you can find a place in Asia that does it it will probably be cheaper than what you pay in the US or Europe. You might try getting a referral from Quantam. try http://support.quantum.com if they dont have a server there try www.quantam.com I am guesiing they will probably send you to Maxtor which might explain why they are crappier than they used to be.

Archived