rosetta stone learning thai

belfastish

Well I had already done the pimsleur course but that was just the basic version. Enough to ask someone if they knew how to speak English but that was it. Rosetta def helped build vocab but I didn't have the motivation to get very far with it. I assume you start learning more grammar further on in the program. Hindi only has one disk but I think thai and Spanish and a few others go up to 3 disks so it should teach you a decent amount if you get that far.

Subtitled films work the best for me cos it familiarise you with the sounds and teaches you vocab and has some sort of entertainment value. Met a Bulgarian guy that claimed that was all he learnt to speak English and he could hold a decent conversation.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have and use the ROSETTA STONE. I would not buy it again but it has helped me a little. I live a couple of weeks a month in Bangkok for a long time yet my thai is terrible, age has alot to do with it I'm sure, and being lazy.

I'm really interested in the subtitled films method...I never really thought about that, any help would be great such as the best ones and where to buy them etc. Thanks !

I think its harder for the English speaking world to generally learn another language anyway. In our home countries we are almost never expsoed to other languages, there is historically an arrogance and an assumption that its not needed and as so few people who speak English a first language have a second there is a fear about the difficulties of it. Also many people seem to be afraid to make mistakes. Affects me anyway!

Yeah the film method is good but you still need motivation otherwise you just relax and read. you have to actively try and work out which sounds and words are connected. The more words you have that you can recognise from a sentence then the easier it is to learn a new word. Even if you just relax though at least your brain and ears are getting accustomed to the sounds and patterns of the language in the background.

As for where to find subtitled films... I'm sure plenty of people will help you find then in Bangkok on DVD. Another method is Emule. Torrents are great if you want to download something popular fast. If you have patience and want to watch an obscure TV program from years ago or a rare song or foreign films then try emule. Its got far more things on it because things don't die off when people stop downloading it for a while. Find most popular thai films on imdb then search emule and look for the ones which bring up .sub .srt .txt or other files with the search result and download those with the films. you will then need a program like VLC, or my favourite for videos with seperate subtitle files is Jetaudio, to play them. PM me if you want anymore info on this!

another way is to search for "eng sub" and that will show you everything that has english subtitles built in to the video picture and then you can look for thai films amongst that.

I've been trying ot learn hindi so there is plenty on there for me thanks to the the productivity of bollywood! dvds might be easier if you are regulalry in BKK.

good luck!

Um yeah emule! :p

Or another similar program. limewire is supposed to be good but I've also heard it can have spyware or something in it?

Alternatively http://www.divxmovies.com/subtitles/ has links to 5 or 6 sites where you can search for subs for films in many different languages. I found that time consuming and often unsuccecsful though for hindi filsm but occaisonly got subs when emule couldn;t.

Oh and note of caution to everyone - Some subtitles can be pretty poor transaltions. There is always the trade off between conveying the message or the direct word for word transaltion and some translations change it completely in places!

Cheers!

I found one copy of the Thai disc on torrentspy with seeds but its only got one seed so if they delete during download then you are stuck.

http://www.torrentspy.com/search/rosetta?db=3&pg=2

There are plenty of seeds for the application disc on mininova though.

can you persuade your friend to install that other program I mentioned a bit????

Actually http://thepiratebay.org/recent.php has a thai disc that has 3 seeds. just search for "rosetta". Or download BobbyJoe's RosettaStone Collection v1.0 (Eastern Languages) as this has more seeds and includes the Thai disc. you might even be able to stop the download of the other languages and only download that one disc from the pack depending on how it was arranged.

Archived