Final Word On Windows XP??

I was wondering if anyone had the final word on Windows XP. I figure the OS must be selling in Panthip by now but does anyone know if has been sucessfully cracked so that it will not expire after ???days? Anyone try it out? What did you think? If it sounds good I will have a friend ship it to me from BKK.

Vinny

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The version that is used by the pirates have not any protection. It is a so called "volume licence" version. Made for big companies with a lot of computers. The would not buy it if they had to activate 5000 computers manually.

All Microsoft software is availible like this, Win XP, Office XP etc.

It is only the rental store copies that has activation protections.

/S

V.Calvino,

I have Windows XP Pro on my desktop and Windows 98 2E on my laptop. It is kind of unfair to compare the two because the desktop is brand new with a much faster CPU, more RAM, etc. Keeping that in mind, I would say this:

1)XP is much more stable than 98; I haven't had a program crash since I started with it.

2)Photo manipulation is much easier with XP as is burning CD's. For example, if I want to print out the contents of a picture folder, XP will automatically assign the proper orientation. With 98, I have to assign the proper orientation for each file.

3)XP loads noticeably faster

4)Help program works a little better on XP but still far from perfect

5)I installed a 1394 IEEE interface card in the desktop and XP automatically recognized and assigned the proper driver. Worked fine from the start. On the laptop, I had to install the proper drivers and do a little manipulation before it worked properly.

6)I prefer the older edition of Outlook Express in 98. The new version has too many bells and whistles.

7)Last thing is make sure your computer is up to the requirements of XP. For example, Microsoft says you need 64MB of RAM, but XP moves kind of slow with that and does much better with 128MB of RAM

My understanding of the Windows OS system is that Windows 9x was designed for the home user and thus had good compatability with older hardware and software. But this also made it more unstable. It culminated in Windows Me which improved somewhat the stability. Windows NT was designed for the business user and thus had good stability. But this also made it poor for running games and poor compatibility with older hardware. It culminated in Windows 2000 which improved on the compatability and game playing. Still had problems, especially with USB connected hardware. Windows XP supposedly combines the stability of Windows 2000 with the compatability of Windows 9x. Now instead of two different OS systems, Windows XP Pro is just a superset of XP Home. I have heard that a third version of XP is coming out designed for a network file or application server.

I don't spend much time on my computer playing games, so i can't help you there. I will say that the visual graphics on my new computer are superb, but that probably has more to do having a GeForce3 GPU.

quote:

Originally posted by V. Calvino:

I was wondering if anyone had the final word on Windows XP. I figure the OS must be selling in Panthip by now but does anyone know if has been sucessfully cracked so that it will not expire after ???days? Anyone try it out? What did you think? If it sounds good I will have a friend ship it to me from BKK.

Vinny

Note: I do not work for Microsoft. But Pantip Plaza is simply offensive, represents everything that is BROKEN about Thailand.

Also I hope some day you have the experience of having whatever work you do being reduced to something a bunch of sex tourists pay 100 baht for in some third-world shithole bazaar.

quote:

Originally posted by TEDBKK:

Note: I do not work for Microsoft. But Pantip Plaza is simply offensive, represents everything that is BROKEN about Thailand.

Also I hope some day you have the experience of having whatever work you do being reduced to something a bunch of sex tourists pay 100 baht for in some third-world shithole bazaar.

Sometimes you need the broken things in life to appreciate the things that work.

whoa! something touched a raw nerve.

Query: It seems that although pirated versions of software, hardware, and movies exist rampantly, that the companies that produce these products are doing very well. Might this indicate some kind of anti-competitive practice in the pricing to begin with?

Especially coming to the defense of Microsoft? I wonder if the angry person who posted is smoking crack. Microsoft is the personification (or corporatification) of monopolisitic anti-competitive practices. I hope Microsoft suffers.

shocked.gif" border="0

I agree whole-heartedly with the above poster's anti-Pantip comments. There is simply no way to justify theft, even if it is from a rich man, or even from another thief.

If movie and software companies are doing well (and by no means are all of them doing so well), it is only because law-abiding people in law-abiding countries are taking up the slack from the thieves and freeloaders, most of whom are overseas.

If you do not reward creativity and innovation with profits, how can you expect your lives to be enriched by them in the future?

Archived