Final Word On Windows XP??

quote:

Originally posted by TEDBKK:

Again, I really didn't intend to start a debate about pirating per se. I was making commentary about how when examined from one angle Pantip fits into a larger pattern of BS in Thailand.

But OK, since you went there: Oh, it's too expensive, if they wanted me to buy it they'd price it lower. Oh, they're not losing any money because I wouldn't buy it anyway. Oh, everyone does it, no problem. Oh, the money helps people who can't make money any other way.

In other words, the fruits of labor should be in the public domain, available at whatever price someone can afford to pay; if anyone else gets to have it, I deserve to get it too; the producer should not profit unduly off of their work; work output serves the function of social program. Sounds like communism to me!

My attitude is that people deserve to get paid for and profit from their legitimate work. Is that "moral shite" -- what's broken about that?

And oh yeah, please don't impugn my good name by suggesting that I have high morals.

Dearest Ted,

I am sorry that I smeared your name in such a way. What deeds will you have to get up to right my wrong (hope you have fun). Let me apologize publically and say that I have no direct knowledge of Ted having high morals . All kidding aside I probably wouldn't have wrote the moral shite remark if I would of had my second cup of coffee. I didn't say anything about Microsoft being so rich that they don't need my money(probably don't though) and I get your point about peoples work getting ripped off but I look at it in a different light. I go to Panthip, buy things cheap and get to enjoy them without paying the big money. What could be better?? I wouldn't buy any of it if I had to pay full price and could download any of it off the internet for free anyhow. So Panthip may represent all that's wrong in Thailand to you but to me (and there may be others out there) it represents the true Thai spirt of free enterpise and making a quick buck while you can. Service with a smile. I'd say it's quite the opposite of communism. I know it may seem like a big wrong but look at all the tourists in there. It just may be allowed to stay open because it is good for the Macoeconomy ie the police, politicians ect..

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by V. Calvino:

I am sorry that I smeared your name in such a way. What deeds will you have to get up to right my wrong (hope you have fun). Let me apologize publically and say that I have no direct knowledge of Ted having high morals ...

LOL! Next time you're in Thailand let's meet up and I will buy you a beer.

Hi,

Came across this snippet. Have not yet read the article, btw.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* WinXP steals your bandwidth

Windows XP helps itself to 20 per cent of your bandwidth. The

culprit is the QoS (quality of service) packet scheduler, which

is intended to preserve some available bandwidth for important

applications and in order to maintain network performance.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23090.html

The Register, Nov. 29, 2001

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This by itself would be reason enough for me not to upgrade to XP. I'm running 2000 and am very happy with it.

Sanuk!

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

This by itself would be reason enough for me not to upgrade to XP. I'm running 2000 and am very happy with it.

I find this kind of thinking rather astonishing. I remember a manager of mine in the past who couldn?t see the point in upgrading some DOS program we had because it worked fine. It used to annoy me no end. He was right in that the program worked but in terms of productivity and ease of use we were happy to upgrade to Windows eventually.

I have just changed from Win2000 to XP Pro and see significant ease of use already and don?t plan on going back.

Cheers,

quote:

Originally posted by Palatkik:

I find this kind of thinking rather astonishing. I remember a manager of mine in the past who couldn’t see the point in upgrading some DOS program we had because it worked fine. It used to annoy me no end. He was right in that the program worked but in terms of productivity and ease of use we were happy to upgrade to Windows eventually.

I have just changed from Win2000 to XP Pro and see significant ease of use already and don’t plan on going back.

Cheers,

If u have WIN2000 there is no need to upgrade to XP until after the first revision of XP.

• 1 month later...

Archived