Log-in & Log-out

SoiledCowboy

Any reason, I'm usinq Opera 5 & 6, why I am still logged onto the board even when I shut-down & dial-up again even days later? I don't think that I have often logged-out from the board, just closed the browser whilst logged-in. This seems to happen quite regulary, does Opera have a cookie function that isn't quite there or maybe there's another reason - no great drama - hey, saves locating that damned hard to remember password.

SoiledCowboy,

I'm sure Khun Sanuk can explain it better. Here is what little I know; this message board will consider you logged in until you log back out. It has nothing to do with your computer or what ISP you use. What I do with my home computer is have my password and handle remembered in my computer so I just have to click a few times and I'm here. At work I do make sure I log off completely, because someone else can get in here under my name or even find out what I'm up to at work. Where I work I can't put a towel over my screen like "Pasathai" does at his job to hide his activities.

This is why we see a few 'range wars' here. Some member will be at the internet cafe and will close out without logging off the board. The next person to use that computer can get back in here and do whatever under your membership. I always log off at home just to make it a habit to always log out.

Hope this helps a little.

quote:

Originally posted by SoiledCowboy:

Any reason, I'm usinq Opera 5 & 6, why I am still logged onto the board even when I shut-down & dial-up again even days later? I don't think that I have often logged-out from the board, just closed the browser whilst logged-in. This seems to happen quite regulary, does Opera have a cookie function that isn't quite there or maybe there's another reason - no great drama - hey, saves locating that damned hard to remember password.

I think that the cookies for the board expire after twelve hours, although they seem to be recognized for days on one of my work computers. The default on my version of Opera is to get rid of cookies after seven days, although were I saw that I cant recall at the moment. Try rooting around in [ALT]+[P].

I checked out the cookie structure using Netscape and it looks like this. www.nanaplaza.com sets two cookies. [They would be stored in a single cookie file in IE, don't know how Opera stores them.]

The login cookie [starts with the word "login"] seems to persist for 1 year. It seems this is the one that helps the javascript in the site decide what is new-to-you.

The other cookie [starts with "ubber"] persists for 2 years. This second one is, I think, the one that stores your username and password -- not everyone will have this if they don't store that data.

Hi,

Not much to add to bohicasia's explanation. He seems to know more about it than me smile.gif" border="0

Anyway, yes, cookies are used to keep track of whether or not you are logged in. Several people have already asked if this could be changed to automatically log you out, but I am afraid that that would require modifying the UBB code. Something I am not too interested in doing.

Sanuk!

Well that's indead the answer, just deleted the cookies and cleared the cache and joined the board to find I have to log-in. Not a concern on one's own 'puter but I see the point about not logging out on a shared PC at the Internet cafe etc etc, someone could post under your login if they were malicious and didn't have a life of their own.

Archived