Laptop voltage thingy?

Hey guys,

I've tried to look for threads on what kind of adapter or transformer I'd need to run my laptop. I'll be bringing over my apple g4 powerbook and I really don't wanna blow it up. frown.gif" border="0

I'm pretty sure my power cord doesn't have a voltage regulator thingy that some laptop power cords do. Apple gives you a dinky ufo-looking power cord. I've read that apple is being lazy about foreign power cord support. So I'm not too sure what I'd need to keep my powerbook safe. Thanks again.

quote:

Originally posted by tyler durden:

Hey guys,

I've tried to look for threads on what kind of adapter or transformer I'd need to run my laptop...

If Underwriters Labs or the FCC doesn't require Apple to print it on the power adapter or the laptop itself you can probably find the information in the documents that came with your computer. Failing the above try: http://www.apple.com/r/store/infoblock/pdf/PowerBook.pdf

I have a apple Ibook in bkk, it uses the same

"hockey Puck" power supply module that the g4 titanium laptop I use in usa has.

input can be from 90-240 vac.

(btw: the power supply module was made in thailand)

I think most of the late mod computers run on wide range of inputs:

barring that, just get a 240 to 120 step down transformer. ( not one of those cheepie shaver converters travel shops sell).

One thing you should be aware of when using the "universal" power supplies in lat mod. computers is to make sure it is grounded properly.

aside from the safety issue, a bad ground connection will introduce a lot of "hum" into your modem connection, can even mess up your modem or computer if there is any voltage present in the loop.

I found out ( should have known better) when I was using my laptop/touch pad and got more than a tingeling sensation from my feet and finger ( barefoot on a tile floor)

could have been serious, but I got the message pretty clearly anyway.

Archived