Mobile phone compatability

SoiledCowboy

There is both 900 and 1800 MHz phones in Thailand and if you want the phone to work in Thailand,then you need to buy a thai phone or get one "cracked" in Mah Boon Krong.The prices of phones in Thailand are very similar to the price of phones in OZ as an outright purchase without getting anew contract etc, I have an old Hutchison/Orange contract that is really cheap, they have tried to wean me off it, but I just buy phones and use the old sim card. Last time I bought a thai phone and a number in Thailand, I just redirect my OZ number to the thai number and carry around the thai phone, I get all the o'seas calls and get the convenience of a local thai number for making and receiving local calls, you can do the redirect in Bangkok, no need to do before leaving OZ. The phone I bought was a Motorola tri band and was about $20 dearer than outright purchase in OZ.

Ok, I don't know any about Oz mobile phones but I assume it's the same sort of GSM used in Europe.

My take: It will work -- but only by roaming and not with a Thai SIM-card. Unless, you go ahead and "crack/re-programme" your mobile phone.

The other day Adik Gede compiled a list of URL:s with all threads concerning GSM in Thailand that has been going on this board. I suggest you take a look at that or make a search on this website. wink.gif" border="0

Straycat

Archived