League v. international

nkped

Just got my annual dose of TV soccer in LOS. The thought occurs that the play in the Premier League, for example, is intrinsically more entertaining that what we see in major international competition. I'm your typical North American with pretty low knowledge/understanding about real football, but, comments gentlemen?

League for sure....... :bow:

much more exciting to watch.

International Games are few and far between and mainly feature Players who don't know each others Game,that makes it hard for many Teams to perform to the best of their ability.......England for example.

many International Teams draw their Players from Leagues around the World and i don't think that's a good thing.

Italy might not be the most exciting Team to watch but when they won the last World Cup,everyone of their squad played in Italy.

a bit different now after the scandal earlier this Year.

Germany are another Team which is predominately featuring Players from their own Country.

give me 10 Premier League Games anyday over 10 International Games featuring any Team.

I love both.

League is definitely the better football, thus more enjoyable to watch (especially for the neutral viewer such as you Nkped)

But I think the World Cup - European Cup matches attract bigger crowds worldwide..especially those who don't watch football on a regular basis, merely the big tournaments. And it seems more emotions come into play as there little room for mistakes. One loss means being knocked out, whereas the league and its duration gives teams enough time to recuperate from a loss or lack of form.

I wouldn't want to choose one over the other..and I won't..cause I need both ;)

..another thing I should mention.. the best players play in the top leagues, but not necessarily in a World Cup. Certain weaker countries may have 3 or 4 world class players only and therefore not qualify for such tournaments. Hence the fact that it significantly influences the quality of players on the pitch during WC and EC matches.

That's the main reason why league matches provide football of the highest standard :beer:

Most of the friendlies are boring. Some of the international matches that count for something (qualifiers and finals) are good, some not even most. Usually its a cagey affair. Not end to end like a lot of EPL matches. Sometimes the rivalry is more than the end product. Germany v. Netherlands; Argentina v. Brazil; Turkey v. Greece; England v. Germany; USA v. Mexico.

The fun thing is that in Germany we don't see it like that, Hollland vs Germany is more on a fun level, somehow there is this hate/love between those countries, we love the dutch for talking cute german. You can't be angry with them they are sweet and lovely when they speak german. It is more like funny provoking when these teams play against each other, not really serious like Greece and Turkey or Croatia vs Yugoslawia.

With the English we have 0% rialvry and they have 100% with us. German media tries to push the wembley thing but we are over it for ages already.

Point is that they have never beaten us in an important game in the last 40 years and so it is just another uninteresting friendly match to try out new talents and to substitute 10 players in 2nd half! I am sure in England they will take the Wembley openening game very seriously, we won't, we will use it as what it is, a test match to test players!

Archived