Weird ?? thai

hall

Help,

Quite regularly I come across thai web sites that have normal thai script and also something that looks like #%^o0-8As@8U)-+P etc.etc. To me it is total gibberish but obviously I.m missing something here as Thais must be able to read it. Anyone help ??

Thanks Hall.

[ December 06, 2001: Message edited by: hall ]

One of te problem is there are only 4 official thai fonts, plus a large number more. So unless your computer has them installed it may look like crap.

The other thing I notice is that if a chinese , japanese etc message comes up and I dont have chinese fonts that sometimes it will us the thai ones. That realy screws things up. Looks like thai , but does not read like it

This usually has to do with the way the HTML page is written. If it has a content-type header that says TIS-620 [Thai Industrial Standard] then your browser knows to use a certain part of the Unicode range that includes the Thai alphabet. If it has no header, your browser will try to use its default which is usually the low-ANSI [the first 128 characters] character set aka ISO-8859-1. This latter set is a different Unicode range and includes everything you see on a normal English keyboard, plus a few dozen control characters [return, backspace, etc.] and a few special characters like the trademark symbol.

So make sure your encoding for that page is set to Thai -- you may have to it manually as a page not declaring TIS-620 will not clue your browser to change the encoding for you.

If that doesn't work, how about some example URLs that work and don't work for you.

quote:

Originally posted by whosyourdaddy:

One of te problem is there are only 4 official thai fonts, plus a large number more.

Uh, official according to whom? MS? Forgive me, but their are dozens of Thai fonts which map correctly to the Thai Unicode range. There are dozen more PostScript fonts for Thai all of which work perfectly.

I also have found a few fonts for the Lanna language although there isn't a standard for layout of the glyphs.

Guys,

Thanks for all your help. I solved the problem. When all else fails read the instructions!!!! I finally did ! I have windows XP installed and all I need to do is : Right click on the 'gibberish' website.

Drag mouse to View then Encoding.Click on Thai windows and the site is instantly converted to thai script. Don't know if it works with older windows systems though.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers Hall

Archived