Who stole my CD Rom drives?

Stickman

I had this exact problem just recently. I installed generic drives from on the net, on reboot it saw the drives then lost them again, reboot again no drives for CD, Sorry to say my final thing was to reformat the drive. I reloaded everything and still no cd plus lots of missing files. I then reformatted 3 times in succession before reloading anything and now have no problems.....

While this could be a hardware conflict problem, I truly do not believe it is an irq/dma conflict as he hasn't done anything configuration wise.

Most like, one part of his hard disk got jumbled and unfortunately that was part of the windows CD driver.

The bios of your computer recognizing your drives is different from windows driver recognizing your CD drives. Thus you get the recognize CD drives upon bootup but can't do jack in windows.

What you can try doing is to open up your computer and remove the connections from the controller to the CD drive. When you next startup windows, it will recognize that there are no CD drives and will "remove" them from your configuration. You want to be really radical, search for the drivers yourself and erase them.

Shut the computer down and reconnect the CD drives. Outside chance that the CAB file is stored on your hard drive (as it is an essential driver and sometimes Microsoft does something right) and can uncompress a new driver. A CAB file is a windows compressed installation file. Anyways, if you get the choice to install a new driver or use the old, choose the new one as you know the old one ain't worth diddly.

Failing that, next step would be to use the emergency repair disk.

If you haven't created one, no fret. I assume you still have the windows CD and your floppy still works.

What you then need to do is create a DOS boot disk that contains and will initiate the MSCDEX.EXE file. This is the dos CD driver. You should then be able to initiate the Windows CD and repair your hard drive.

Windows 2000 repair disk: http://www.dummies.com/Technology/Networking/Network_Management/0-7645-0662-5_0001.html

Windows 98 repair disk: http://www.alltechbox.com/pc/pc001_eng.php3

You can build your own via: http://www.colosys.net/computeraid/h7.htm

Think this repeats stuff in the other two links, anyways, some will have the ATAPI cd driver, windows 2000 generic cd driver is CDROM.SYS. I have seen oakcddrom.sys as a driver too.

Bootup in DOS and run the installation file of the CD ROM. You should be able to repair your windows installation (least I think so, I can't remember it's been so long).

If you need a hand, you can email me. Sorry, haven't bought a cell phone yet. Don't think our schedules mesh today or tomorrow. I got volleyball tonight and tomorrow is the Quiz.

Cost would be taxi fair back and forth from my house as I will want to bring my box. I could find the driver off your windows cd with my box and copy it to yours via disk if necessary, or try other things. A meal if I'm successful. There is a 49baht special I really like at foodland, or you can splurge and by me a burger and a pepsi on Friday night, hehe.

Like starbucks in America with the tip box, any additional gratuities would be welcomed but not expected. lol.

<<burp>>

Originally posted by Stickman:

[QB]Upon booting my computer I notice that neither of my CD-ROM drives can be accessed through Windows.

QUOTE]

If the other recommendations fail, check if you are infected with the Badtrans virus. My CD-rom stopped working, I thought it was a hardware problem, and could still use my CD-writer to read my CD-roms. I discovered the BadTrans virus that got on my system. At the time I checked it because I had multiple problems, not being able to use Windows Explorer anymore etc., although things often improved temporarily when I rebooted my system. After cleaning out the virus, with updated my McAfee software, the problem with my CD-rom completely disappeared. May have been coincidence, but as I said, if nothing else works, check it out.

Stick, I build my own PC's and whenever I have mind numbing config probs, driver issues, etc to the point I am ready to throw out my PC. I go to tomshardware.com they have a community bulletin board with some real hardcore techies that love to help people(so they can show everyone how much they know).

Upon booting my computer I notice that neither of my CD-ROM drives can be accessed through Windows. When the machine first boots up, they are both detected, but when Windows has loaded, they are not there. They just seem to have disappeared! I have not fiddled with any settings or anything like that.

When I go to check the driver, there seems to be a problem. If I go to add hardware, it detects that the secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) but trying to install the driver it tells me that the driver is already there but has problems... Anyone got any ideas?! As neither of my CD drives work, installing the driver off CD is not an option...!

Stick

Are you using Clone CD? I came across the following at http://www.elby.org/CloneCD/english/bugs_and_limitations.htm :

Version 3.2.1.1 16 November 2001...

Bug fixes:

Fixed severe problem in uninstall routine: *Before* you install ANY other Elaborate Bytes product (e.g., DVD Region Killer 2) on Windows 2000 or Windows XP, you *MUST* update to CloneCD 3.2.1.1! Otherwise all CD-Roms on your machine can vanish, if CloneCD is uninstalled!

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Boo Radley ]

Thanks for the replies... I got it fixed eventually and am still nto entirely sure what went wrong. Had to sort of get in the backdoor using a floppy and reinstall the driver that way... Man, I wasted hours on a beautiful day...really pisses you off when your computer decides to play games on you on a public holiday!

Stick

Archived