serious broadband in BKK

Hey guys,

I'm an ISP guy and I have done a fair amount of research on availability of broadband in BKK. My research tells me that for any dependable connection (as far as DSL-a pipe at least providing 512kbps up/down) that it's around a $1000 US/monthly and that it's very limited in where you can get it. Any geeks out there who have found comparable or faster connections for less $$ monthly? Replies as always are greatly appreciated!

As far as DSL goes 512k is the fastest i've seen available....

Cable is available in Bangkok, again I think they limit the speed - have seen advert promising 256k - ooooooohhh!!!. Note, all broadband services advertise as always on - this may be kind of true, but they do not mean always connected to the internet, or one fixed monthly fee. Cable was approx 900B/month for 30 hours (count 'em!) of internet usage, with extra hours being charged at 40B/hour - unbelievable but true. Plus, note access to Thai web sites is free! Eh? Well, there's a charge for international internet download - ie charge per Mb of data sent to your pc......... hahahahaha.

DSL is available with TOT phone lines (the govmt phone company) thru Qnet - www.lensodatacom.co.th . Max speed is 512k, I'm using 64K up and 128 down - and paying for a block of hours. Unlimited internet use is available though - think it's approx 20,000B/month ie more or less $500, and that's for 64k up AND 64k down shocked.gif" border="0

and more for higher speeds.....

Singapore this isn't....... but then that is a very good thing overall laugh.gif" border="0

So the speed is marginal at best and the cost is astonomical to do anything useful. Just who are they targeting to buy this??? With an approach like this, it seems thai's will be forced to use modems for a looong time to come. The good thing is that might kill Microsoft's strategy to create pay per use web based software versus CD based software like today.

Marketing does not seem to be a strong point, hmmm is there an irony graemlin? Many (most?) farang will have UBC and would be keen on broadband cable service you'd think - however they hardly ever advertise it and when they do, like this dec month magazine, it's all in thai...... much like the website.

Qnet and dsl is better though, since you have no phone connection charges every time you connect to internet, unlike every time your dial up screws up - which will be plenty, even with loxinfo... and the speed is usefully quicker even at 128k. Try installing Win2000 and updating to Service pack2 without it blush.gif" border="0

it'll come eventually....

time for a beer,

coops

I just installed Asianet/ telecom asia cable modem and am more than happy with it. Unfortunately for most people the promotion I got has finished. I have unlimited access and time for 2100B per month. They have a new promotion which is ok if you use it about 1 hour a day. Other that that try adslthailand.com for some adsl info. Satilitte will arrive in Jan 2003. Cant wait

Current quotes (19 Dec):

TelecomAsia (ADSL) http://www.telecomasia.co.th

40 hrs 128k B1,551.50/mo

40 hrs 256k B2,140/mo

Q-Net http://www.lensodatacom.co.th/html/xprice.html

50 hrs 128k B1,250

50 hrs 256k B2,200

The Q-Net is interesting because the 50 hr package is good for 1 year but expires 30 days after activation. If you buy 2 packages (100 hrs) you get an additional 100 hrs of night / weekend time that expires 90 days after activation.

I believe I'll be taking the Q-Net plan for now since I'm not a direct UBC subscriber and I suspect cable modem would be problematic.

thanks for the info and replies, but for a guy that needs 512k or better, and unlimited usage; I guess Thailand will be an expensive place to run my SOHO network. Hopefully, all the other inexpensive stuff will make it cost effective.........Please let me know if anyone finds out about new pricing and packages with the new year. Apparently, that is when a lot of new "promotions will be hitting the boards" laugh.gif" border="0

Archived