WILL THIS EVER HAPPEN AGAIN?.

sayjann

http://www.worldwar1.com/sfcitt.htm

My father told me about sitting around a campfire with German prisoners in 1944, showing each other pictures of their families and wishing each other well. I remember the one he liked best was a 40-something year old butcher from Dresden. My dad said, "He was drafted the same as I was, and we never wanted to go fight anybody."

To my knowledge, I had family in the UK, US and Austrian forces!

My Austrian great gran was a very devout Catholic. She arose every morning at 5 am to read her prayer books. Once she looked up and saw Jesus smiling at her. To the end of her life, she swore that Jesus had really appeared. Who am I to say she didn't? :dunno:

p.s. Great gran's brother was called up to active duty in 1914 at the age of 40 ... in the infantry!

Military service was compulsary at 21. Then after active duty, you remained in the reserve until you were 40. They called him at the last moment they could. Since he'd been in the infantry as a young fella, he remained infantry. His actual occupation was as a locksmith and he'd also been trained as a blacksmith. Uncle Johann was a little fella, say around 158 cm. One of the stories I heard was that he and some of his comrades were captured by the Russians, probably in Galicia. They managed to escape and had a long way to go to return to their lines. They travelled by night, since it was too dangerous in daylight. The area was swampy and they had to cross marshes and rivers in the dark. His friends were afraid he'd step in a hole and drown. They got back safely though. The only time they had dared to sleep indoors was in a church. They were awakened by the sound of a Russian aeroplane approaching. They dashed out of the church just before the bombs destroyed it.

Damn lucky my great grandparents had emigrated to the US, or great grandpa might have been out there with him.

Archived