computer software

There is a product called Universal Translator 2000. It is a disk that allows 2 way translations between something like 40 different languages. I had a copy of it, and it really sucked as far as Thai was concerned. It worked o.k. for Spanish and German.

The main trouble was, it just plain wouldn't translate even the simplest sentenence such as "I like rice" I have since gotten rid of it, and have ordered a disk called Courage softwares Interactive Thai Tutor. It won't translate per say, but it is concidered a good interective teaching aid.

You can try www.dco.co.th (I think) or www.worldlanguage.com for a variety of interective CD-ROMS for teaching/learning Thai.

I agree completely about the Universal 2000 product. It is a complete rip off, and Im sure it borders on criminal deception. I wrote to them on a number of ocassions, but they completely ignored what I was saying, and sent inane and pointless autogenerated replies. To anyone out there considering this snake oil product..dont buy it..it is a con.

On the positive side,

try this site.. http://www.links.nectec.or.th/lexit/lex_t.html

There is also a dictionary called So Sethaputra, but this require you to have the Thai version of Windows due to the need for system fonts. However, I have found it useful to go from english to Thai

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: David Descartes ]

Archived