Nostalgia, Paranoia and Security of the Board *DELETED*

quote:

Originally posted by db_sed_aloha:

Does anyone else have thoughts on this or have I just turned into a total nutcase in my old age?

I guess if you are not breaking any laws or you have nothing to hide there should be no problem with this archive site...on the other hand if you are doing something illegal then you should be careful what you say...

Cheers

Roger

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:

I guess if you are not breaking any laws or you have nothing to hide there should be no problem with this archive site...on the other hand if you are doing something illegal then you should be careful what you say.

I'd say with the xenephobia that has run around Thailand lately anyone with an interest in Thailand should be carefull. It doesn'tt take much to totally misunderstand something if thats what you want to do.

quote:

Originally posted by rictic:

[QB]

anyone with an interest in Thailand should be carefull. QB]

I agree with everyone being careful, but I have found this archive site pretty useful in the past...for example if the page you are looking for can no longer be found, nine times out of ten it will be on the archive site....

Cheers

How long are pages available for? I notice the original site, sanuk.com which also had a message board, shows nothing on the archive.There is a new sanuk site and that one shows, but not the earlier one. I think that site went from '96-'98-peter

quote:

Does anyone else have thoughts on this[/QB]

Hi,

I too found this site a while ago and like you am not very happy about it. The problem is that it can, and most likely will be by some, used to do bad.

Furthermore, there is a reason why sites change over time. The info becomes outdated, opinions/views change, outside influences change, etc., etc.

When I first got online I was ignorant of the potential danger, giving out too much personal info. Now that comes back to haunt me. Sites like web.archive.org make it more difficult for people like me to erase their past ignorance.

I will see if there is any way I can get them to drop this site/board from their database.

Sanuk!

That's pretty good, 10 minutes to find out how to prevent that!!!

Out of interest how does that prevent it?

I have seen some sites protected by a password that is printed up top for all to see and a request if you wish to proceed to use the password, this password is changed regularily to prevent it being programmed into an automatic webstripper..

Hi,

"Out of interest how does that prevent it?"

Search engines and other data gatherers use little programs called 'spiders'. Decent spiders, like the ones used by respectable sites, adhere to the directions given to them by a file called robots.txt.

I have just added such a file to the nanaplaza.com server asking the webarchive spider not to read anything on this site.

"I have seen some sites protected by a password that is printed up top for all to see and a request if you wish to proceed to use the password, this password is changed regularily to prevent it being programmed into an automatic webstripper.. "

Spiders can't fill out form, therefore something like this would stop them dead in their tracks. This is the same reason that you can't find any of the content inside the memberarea in any of the search engines.

Sanuk!

Archived