Connecting to the internet without a land line

sanukdee

Yes, the technology is available.

You can either use a cable-kit or infra-red to connect your laptop to your cellphone.

Cable-kits I don't know anything about.

If using infra-red, you have to make sure you have a cell-phone with a built-in modem. Top models of Motorola, Ericsson and Nokia have that available on the market. (I've used Nokia 8210 and 8850)

What you do is that you call your regular ISP but with the cell phone. It's terrible slow though since the GSM-system cannot transmit digital information faster than 9600 kbit. frown.gif" border="0

With Windows 2000 there has been an issue with the infra-red communication. Therefore you have to download a patch to make it work in Win 2000. I don't know if this has been fixed in XP...but probably so...since it seems to have all the other bells and whistles you could possibly ask for.

I am sure you can find more specifics if you keep on searching Internet. If I remember it correctly I learned how to set it up at a Nokia support web site.

Good luck!

Straycat

...on the other hand, I've never had any problems with my infra-red.

I'm also quite happy to not have (yet) another thing to carry around... wink.gif" border="0

BB has a point though -- it is sometimes reported that infra-red is inaccurate. But then again, this is something that I have not experienced.

Since I already had a mobile phone with a built-in modem and thought cable-kits were quite expensive I've choosen to go with IR.

If you already have a phone but not the built-in modem, it's probably cheaper to go with the cable-kit. -- Around 100 USD or so for the cable-kit, I think!? BB?

Straycat

Archived