Fire sale on digital cameras?

Hi dudes,

My local digital camera store in Thailand is having a sale on one-year old models, that they can't seem to sell.

Not really a fire sale, but the old Casio QV-3x is reduced from 32,000 to 20,000 baht. It boasts the IBM Microdrive mini disk with hundreds of pic storage capacity.

Or should I go for the new models like the Fuji FinePix 2600z -- now selling in Bangkok for around 15,500 -- which have less features and very low storage?

Any ideas? crazy.gif" border="0

tropic,

I have a fuji 2600z. I like it alot. It is very very idiot friendly(thank god!). I paid a total of $299.00 for the camera through 800 dot com Also, since it was during the holidays, there were a shitload of rebates. I received a $50.00 rebate for 800.com(used it to buy 64mb disk) a week after the camera arrived. Also, $35.00 rebate from fuji and $60.00 rebate from microsoft(this part of deal is over). PLUS, I got a free accessory pack(camera bag, POS tripod, 2 NiHD batteries and charger).

I think that you'd be overpaying by a hundred bucks if you buy in LOS. If you don't mind the overcharge, it is a very good camera that fits in your pocket. Takes very good pics too! Hope it helps.

Tyler:

I agree, you can buy much cheaper in the States. but I am an expat in Thailand... and don't plan to be traveling overseas any time soon.

I could order online by credit card, but besides waiting for it to be shipped to LOS, there would be a hefty customs duty to pay to the Thais.

Plus the warranty problem. If anything is wrong, I would have to ship it back and forth Stateside.

tomc12:

The Casio is a 3.3 mega pixel with 12 step digital zoom, but no optical zoom. This model was released over a year back, but it comes with a 12-month warranty.

The batteries are expensive -- 3,000 baht each for the Li-ion type.

The major pluses are:

1. the huge storage capacity;

2. video cable connection to your TV... great for Sanukers and their BGs, right?

I think the big question for you is how important an optical zoom is versus resolution. The price of the Casio QV-3EX on Ebay is $439-comes with a 340 MB microdrive and a Li-ion battery-so 20,000 bahts is comparable to what it sells for in America. The microdrive sells for about $200 alone, so you would be getting a 3 megapixel camera for $239. The Fuji model is a 2 megapixel camera, usually comes with 16 MB, and has a 3X optical zoom. It sells for about $239.

Archived