Friday meetings change - the poll

khunsanuk

Gulivers...

It's one of those places you have to get to "know" the staff to get good service. Being new there, the place is pretty rude though. After my first 2 visits I was pretty much intent on not visiting it again, but I was persuaded otherwise and I've grown a liking to it, or some of the people that frequent there anyway.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SD and All,

I want a place that realizes that we bring them some income and to be treated a bit special for doing so. I agree that the best we can do is to at least rotate between board sponsors a bit over time to encourage them and others (future sponsors) to continue sponsoring the site. SD has a point, why patronize a place that really has no personal connection with us and seems to not care much whether we come each week or not.

I'll state my preferences: quiet enough to talk with each other without having to yell over the music or crowds, no BG's bothering us/me while we are at the Thai360.com meet-up, good prices, decent foods or at least some snacks (at Gully's I usually grab a bite, usually the pita bread and humus-then out later for Egyptian or other fare), close to lower Suk, 22 works for me as well, as does Cowboy area. I prefer to not have to enter the gogo bar areas for the meetings. Rather do that after, if I decide to do that. (Oh yeah, and AC as well. Nothing worse than sitting in a place sweltering before going out later to the bars.)

For me these meetings are about meeting up with members/friends I know, or members I want to meet, not about the bars and the pussy. So to me, some place that focuses on food, drink, and 'possibly' good music later in the evenings, would be fine, or a place that is located near areas we might all party in after the meet would be nice as well. I'd like the meetings to rotate a bit every couple months. Say near Patpong for a few weeks, then near, Cowboy, then Nana, then say Soi 33 for a few weeks, then Soi 22, like that. It does get a bit boring in the same venue every week, and if we do rotate this a bit many would get a chance to explore nearby areas they might not be familiar with.

Just my thoughts on this stuff.

Cent

p.s. One thing I don't want is a bar owner/advertiser/sponsor getting bent out of shape if we DON'T use his place every week. By rotating the venue every few weeks we spread out our largesse and custom, we also show we are not locked into one place (or the place doesn't start taking us/our custom for granted, as other places have in past years) and it keeps the meetings from getting stale and boring by placing them in different areas of interest, and might make it easier for some to get to at times that Soi5/1-Gully's might not be for some. Keeping it near the SkyTrain I think would be a good idea, but hell, taxis are cheap and plentiful, and if the meetings are changed around at times this would not be too much of a hassle.

Gulliver's

Gulliver's is fine with me. We are segregated from the other customers, and we are easy for newcomers to identify. They have excellent air conditioning (at least its good by 8:00 PM), fair prices, and in a pleasant upscale setting. Gulliver's is usually quiet enough for a good conversation, and its friendly toward wives, girlfriends, and families.

Fixed or Rotating Meeting Place

I belonged to an organization that rotated our monthly meetings, and after years of rotating our meeting place, we landed in a fixed meeting place.

When we started using a fixed meeting place, our average monthly attendance more than doubled. Whenever we had a special meeting at another site, the turnout would invariably be low, many would come in late, and I would later receive complaints from members who went to the wrong meeting place. Moving meetings around, even on a regular schedule is a bad idea for loosely organized orgainizations.

Black Swan

-Would they hold off playing their very loud music until we were done? Also, there doesn't seem to be any good way to segregate us from the rest of the patrons (being a conspicuous large group of foreigners will help newcomers identify us), unless its upstairs, and if that's the case, some members may not be up for the climb.The prices seemed pretty high when I was there last.

Hi,

Seems that opinions on moving are very evenly divided. I voted 'Do not care' as I have no problem with Gulliver's.

Rotating - Agree with Topcatta and Rickfarang, I do not think this is a good idea. Too much hassle for people to keep up with where we are meeting at any given Friday.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Smoking or non-smoking doesn't bother me that much, but certainly agree on the aircon.

Looks like there are 3 contenders at the moment: The Belgian Dog, Livingstone's and the Old Dutch.

Not familiar yet with the first 2 (ND, what time will you be at TBG? Might try joining); the Old Dutch would work if we can use the upstairs.

Sanuk!

I voted don't care but the fact is what is the purpose of the meeting? Is it to eat or for board members to meet eachother in a physical sense rather that on the net. I find Gullies serves that purpose well as everyone knows where it is and they do have a designated area. From my expeience although brief is seems to be the starting point for usually a long evening rather than the evening itself.

Archived