LCD Vs. Plasma

Old Hippie

Maybe this problem has been resolved.

Years ago, when I was researching laptops, one of the main concern was dead pixels. All the manufacturers then stated that 6-10 dead pixels was acceptable for a new screen.

I guess in the oveal scheme of things, one is not looking at an LCD TV real close and a few dead pixels would not matter.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've a 32 inch LCD at home - if I buy a bigger next time it will be a plasma but today

LCD has more pixels per square inch

LCD has double useful life

LCD will not burn not-moving objects on the surface

Plasma has double power consumption

Else I agree with CT and the next TV will be a bigger plasma - only exception is if you live higher up than 2000 meters, if so forget the plasma.

I have a Sharp Aquos 42" LCD, 1080p, and it's fantastic for watching DVDs. My DVD player has up conversion to 720p/1080i, but there are some out there that upconvert to 1080p. I didn't buy a blu-ray or HD yet, but these should be far superior as you'll get native 1080p.

You shouldn't see any blurring in 1080p mode. I don't even notice it in 1080i mode.

tomc12

70" LCD, what did you pay for that? I didn't even know they exist!!! Are you sure it is inches and not the diagonal length? Must be 60k USD such a thing!

Baron

the upconverstion to 1080i is basically nothing else than stretching the picture by digitally adding points, it doesn't improve the sharpness or the colours, it is just getting rid of compression shaddows which is a positive thing. If you are able to receive an HDTV signal you will see that the difference between those two formats is bigger then anything you could ever imagine. Collours, sharpnes and depths make you feel like in the future.

I am glad to hear that LCD got rid of the shadows if that is so, I am a geek and I see things regular people don't care about! Still LCD has many advantages but Plasma is going to be the future because the companies who have decided to support plasma are more powerful. Everything points to affordable High End Full HD panels from 60 to 86 inches. In 2 years the entire european TV broadcasting will be 100% digital and everything will be in HDTV.

The regular DVDs will also disappear, lets wait and see which format will make the race, Blue Ray or HD DVD, I guess it will be Blue Ray since the players come with more features. One of these formats will end up as the new Beta2000 :)

shyge

the far future not in the next 10 years!

wonderlust

as much as I love the idea of a huge screen and as good the projectors can transport quality on the silver screen atm, you can't compare it with the interlaced or full 1080 picture a plasma or an lcd can deliver right now!

I wish the new generation of prjectors was as good as it it sounds promising!

5 to 10 years and it is perfect!

While the upconversion isn't perfect, it does do a fairly good job. Better than not having it for sure. It does make a difference.

LCOS may be the way of the not too distant future as the capabilities are so much better. And who know what technology will be available in 5 years.

By the way, there are large panel LCDs available, contrary to your comment to TomC. I just a quick look at the Sharp web site and they had a 65" available in '05, so it's not inconceivable that there will be bigger panels available in late '06 and beyond.

Archived