LCD Vs. Plasma

Old Hippie

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Thanks. Have not seen any yet (at least not that I am aware of).

Edit:

Bit of googling found this article: http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/6216/52/

It mentions "with units set to be available in stores by late 2007 or early 2008."

Nice photo comparing laser with plasma and explanation of the differences as well.

Sounds *very* good, but unfortunately they are still about a year away it sounds :(

Sanuk!

Well, next year will be the break through of laser TVs. LASER

You must be a great cook as often as you stirr things up :)

It will have it's market release at best. Not it's breakthrough which is very easy to explain, even for me :)

The major companies pus billions of dollars into the development of plasma techology, they wanna get their break even before they release a new technology! Without a doubt it is high end technology and probably the best possible picture but that doesn't mean that it will have it's break through on the market. Beta2000 was the way better quality and had more storage volume than a VHS but the Market Leader went with VHS licenses. The same will happen with the Plamsa / LCD and Laser Backprojection, it will be the Plasma in the Big Panel section, the LCD in the up to 42" Panel Section and the laser stuff will be bought by a couple of high end freaks, because all major companies are going for their own techologies and won't buy a patent form mitsubishi unless they haven't got their margins, especially in europe where flatscreens just became affordable and interesting for the normal people. I bet you a box of Singha that exactly this will happen! You're in?

I think LCD's will gradually surpass plasma. The flicker problem with plasma keeps it from being used for computers while LCD's are becoming the norm. Thus, companies already have a large market for it; once the technology is improved, LCD manufacturing will be easier and simpler. Plasma will be pushed into larger and larger screens as LCD's displace the smaller screens. Possibly the larger power consumption of plasma will be a factor also.

Hhhmmmm...meknozsomuttboutditopic... as recently I kindda moved in a real appartment with a fit in chinese bird...TV screen was in the 50000$ shopping list... after short enquiries it seemed LCDs like the funny Philips ambilights have a sharper image and might be better for TV shows but plasma give more realistic and cinema like image for movies... as I care for TV shows as much as overaged lao hookers crawling the sois behing their motocy boyfriend I soon left the shop with a 50 or 52 inches Pioneer plasma...the best they had said the tricky salesman... larger than Rocco's working tool dare I say and unfortunately longer lasting than the aforementioned chinese bird of the hardworking but touchy specie I'm afraid.

Life is so harsh... but at least could watch Amores Perros again... melike!

My Gut feeling is that LCD has already passed Plasma sales by quite a bit, but I don't have any stats. Maybe someone can search.

I did a 1 minute search and found this:

"The flat-panel TV business was stronger for Tweeter, however. Sales of plasma TVs rose 3.5 percent, but the average selling prices dropped 31 percent. LCD TV sales rose 74 percent over the previous year to 25,000 units, and average prices rose 3 percent because of the increasing popularity of larger models, such as the 46-inch Sony and Samsung TVs in the $3,500 range."

http://ledger.southofboston.com/articles/2007/01/06/business/biz02.txt

Archived