Airport X-ray

Lusty

The generally accepted answer is no, they are safe, the same with media storage devices (compact flashcards, memory sticks etc etc).

You are always entitled to have any of these devices inpected by hand to avoid the trip thru the x-ray machine, or request a lead-lined bag to protect them. Easier said than done though in the mayhem of loading a plane with 400+ passengers in 30mins. My flashcards have always travelled thru the macine in carry-on luggage and always survived.

All-

I just got the chance to look at the operators manual for the CTX machine.. [uPS owns several] These are the newest models of x-ray devices used at major air gateways.. It does say that digital media (flashcards, etc) as well as film [400 speed] will not be damaged by "sporadic" exposure to the CTX device.. Also that other magnetic audio/visual media housed in lead or other dense carriers will not be damaged.

I note that the manual stipulates that the film is of "400 speed". Not being a film expert, I'd think that this means that other speeds of film MAY be susceptable to damage. The other point is that it does say that "sporadic" exposure is ok.. What is sporadic exposure? Doesn't define...

I bought in Japan (Ikebukuro or course) a large lead-lined bag that I can fit my laptop or digital camera inside and seal...

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

PS: Just one of those CTX's cost over US$700,000 to buy and install! ouch!

db--

I just thought it was unusual for the manual to specifically state 400 speed film.. I guess that it implies that other speeds may be "at risk"..

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

PS: It also says that humans and/or live human organisms (as well an live animals) should not be exposed at all.. Gee, I guess that means we should not have played "let's see what my hand looks like"... lol

UPSer wrote:

quote:

I note that the manual stipulates that the film is of "400 speed". Not being a film expert, I'd think that this means that other speeds of film MAY be susceptable to damage. The other point is that it does say that "sporadic" exposure is ok.. What is sporadic exposure? Doesn't define...

The manual should read 400 speed film or slower -- meaning ISOs of 400 or lower. Lower speeds of film are less light sensitive (require more light to expose) and therefore will be less affected by the x-rays.

It is commonly accepted that, in the US anyway, the machines that check the carry on luggage are less sensitive than those that work on checked baggage. That means you can carry on higher ISO films more safely than if you run them through with checked luggage. It is also important to remember that exposure is cumulative. So don't run even the 400 speed film through too many times.

Getting them to hand check your film is a good idea but be prepared to encounter a hassle if crowds are too large. I was flat denied the right to a hand check once by an intransigent security person. And it is not a good idea to cause a ruckus about it, not with security clampdowns going on right now. And also be prepared for them to hand check and delay you if you store it in a lead lined bag. It will show up as a big blob on their machine and they'll think something is up. Obviously it's not but it can cause you a delay.

Archived