GSM plans that don’t allow dial up modem networking?

Palatkik

Got my hands on one of the more recent GPRS hand phones with a built in modem and discovered that AIS doesn’t let One-2-Call users use any form of data wireless connection. I can just make voice calls. Their other membership plans offered to Thais only or w/permit holders (I understand) do allow data networking if you ask them to switch it on (free of charge).

Is Dprompt the same I wonder?

Guess I’ll have to talk nicely to the GF and ask for an account in her name so I can use the dial up networking and perhaps GPRS/WAP features.

Cheers,

gprs is a packet data service & normally requires a special subscription on top of data subsription. I'm sure it's awfully expensive if it's even available at any thai networks yet!

here in europe it's only just up & running & phones & networks still have some problems getting it to run smoothly.

pricing is usually per MB downloaded & could be as high as 5€!

good luck ;-)

quote:

Originally posted by Chilli Lover:

I'm sure it's awfully expensive if it's even available at any thai networks yet!

Yes, the GPRS might get pricey. The two main Thai providers TAC & AIS are offering 0.1B per kb at 40kb connect rate, but they have some cheaper schemes for high usage. Until end of Jan the AIS system is free I think?

Anyway besides GPRS, the bog standard GSM service with a 9.6kb modem connect rate is not allowed with One-2-Call and presumably TAC's DPrompt (anyone confirm?). Looks like I need a Thai account or work permit to use any modem and GSM hand phone combination - unless someone can advise otherwise.

Cheers,

Archived