Bring a GSM phone to Thailand - usable?

Could I bring my GSM 900/1800 dualband phone to be used in Thailand?

Meaning, not through auto-roam - but coming to Thailand and then purchase a Thai SIM card or SIM prepaid card and slot it in to be used?

I have a Motorola 2288, Nokia 8250, and Nokia 3210.

Heard from a friend who she claims it can't work because there is a IMEI number lock in Thailand mobile networks.

Any clues is appreciated cool.gif" border="0

Motorola can be converted, but Nokia supposedly cant.This is for AIS. Dual band phones that cover the 1800 system dont need converting, they will take the Sim card straight away. It looks as if it is only the Shin corporation that wants to prevent you purchasing elsewhere. Talk about trying to fleece your customers.

It's not that long ago when the minimum price of phones in Thailand (AIS)were $1000 US from Shin corp yet you could buy exactly the same model phone in Cambodia for $200 but had to get it converted.

The same type of crap with satelite TV here, the receiver is pretuned and locked to specific frequencies, you can't tune it yourself because you may suddenly find loads of free channels and they don't want you to know that.

quote:

Originally posted by rictic:

Dual band phones that cover the 1800 system dont need converting.

I always thought, and recently had it confirmed by the shop salesperson in MBK recently that if I wanted to buy a dual band 900MHz/1800Mhz phone it still had to have it's IMEI set for the Thai service provider in order to work. Thus a phone set for TAC won't work on AIS with appropriuate SIM cards and vice versa unless fixed to do so.

Cheers,

whether the phone will work depends which operator you buy the sim from. ais/1-to-call & dtac won't work, but the 2 new operators digital phone (hallo) or orange might work (if they even sell prepaid sims???).

good luck ;-)

otherwise roaming isn't that costly as long as you call local numbers, but only when receiving calls yourself!!!

Any Thai simcard will work on phones brought into Thailand. However not one Thai prepaid card system will work on it. If you want to use prepaid cards you need to modify your phone.

Archived