How in the hell do you eat RAT?

Bangkoktraveler

What a culinary dish - a big helping of rat!

There he is - cute little devil.

ratintrap.jpg

[color:red]

Here is a recipe for ground rat meat and chili paste:![/color]

Ingredients:

1/4 cup fish oil

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1-1/2 cups of dried red chili peppers

4 long green peppers

8 large bay leaves

1/2 cup holy basil leaf

1 tablespoon salt

4 chopped garlic cloves

4 small rats

Initial Preparation:

With a mortar and pestle place the 1-1/2 cups of dried red chili peppers, and begin to mash until a red paste is achieved. Add a tablespoon of water to make moist.

Chop garlic cloves.

Place bay leaves in a small bowl of water. Roll two bay leaves at a time and then thinly shred and place in dry dish. Do for all 8 leaves - two at a time.

Place holy basil leaves in a small bowl of water.

Dice long green peppers. Do small cross sections so look like wheels and place in dry dish.

Skin 4 small rats. Clean and place heart and liver in separate bowl.

Cooking preparations:

Place oil in a wok over an open flame and heat

Place small rats in a grate, and lightly cook over an open flame on both sides until medium cooked. Do not cook well done.

Mix red chili paste with hot oil and stir well.

Finely chop rats on a wood chopping block over and over until makes a smooth ground meat texture. Be sure to chop all the bones well.

Add chopped rat meat to the red chili paste and oil and stir well.

Add diced green peppers and stir well. Let cook for 5 minutes.

Add 1/2 tablespoon of salt.

Add whole liver and heart and sir in.

Add holy basil leaves to mixture and stir in well and let cook for another 5 minutes. Be sure not to burn the chili paste - add a little water if necessary to keep moist but not runny.

Add chopped garlic cloves

Add shredded bay leaves and stir in and cover and let simmer for 5 minutes or more to let all the flavors mix well.

Serving:

Serve ground rat meat on an oval dish with livers and heart on the top. Circle with garnish of basil leaves and halves of lime. Serve with white rice. The flavor will be hot and tangy with a mild crunchy chew to it. It is not to be considered the main dish, but a nice hot and spicy accent to other prepared dishes. Very good on crackers, but Thais do not generally eat crackers.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree and quite tasty as well....before you know what you are eating, that is !!! LOL..

Definitely only "Farmer rice...Rats" though...none of the City Cousins.

Forget the fancy recepies, just let "The boys" cook it on the Charcoal home made BBQ...

My experience was actually on my wedding day at about 8.30 in the morning (quite a few years ago now)...cy country...approx. 12 kms from "Ban Cent"

Things were starting to fire up...the relos were well and truely into the 40 degrees....a bit like let's party dudes...the fat farang's paying...

I had already partaken of "my turn" for the tin mug, a couple of times...just to show what we farangs were made of...555 but had just switched back to my "hidden" botten of Johnny Dum (soda)

One of the relo's passed me a plate, which appeared to contain home made BBQ chicken..... (yeah right, that far can Lao Kao does strange things to your eyes...lol..)

Beautifully presented, it was, all layed out on a bed of banana leaf...

In hindsight, I should have known something was adrift, cos half of the village was watching me.

Took a piece, scoffed it....Hmmmm, not bad...

Then they came back....Khun Dumsoda aroi dee....more for you...sap Ille...take..

NOTE TO SELF...defining moments in Life.

It was right then, that my life changed !!! I looked at the plate as I prepared to take another piece.....and there it was !!!!

Attached to a prime piece of "Chicken" that caught my eye....was a fucking TAIL.....WTF....

Far can hell...where's my botten....Lau Lau...figured if I was gunna die of the bubonic plague, I might as well be pissed....55555

Would I do it again....now after many years, I'd say Yes... guess it's not the worst (or most risky) thing I've eaten over the years...

Cheers DS

Archived