Out of Disk Space Message

zanemay

Hello Fellow Geeks,

My GF America's computer is an OLD Compaq. It has a 500mb hard drive. When she runs Int Explorer the message "You have run out of dr space on Drv C. Would you like to cleanup?" pops up. However, according to the Drive Space accessory there is always at least 50mb of disk space available.

The lady is not technical and someday when I am in LOS and she is trying to connect with me this may cause a problem. (See how I associated this with Thailand!!?)

Is this a system error or is there a setting that can be changed. The setting for swapfile to let the system decide is already on.

Thanks,

Zane

Well I am afraid 50MB is nothing nowadays. A swapfile can take up 100MB if you "push" Windows a bit and open more than 2 programs at the same time smile.gif" border="0... What Windows does she have? What software is installed?

Doh! You're using Drive Space on the disk? I don't think swapfiles like drive space one bit...

Btw: I am not a geek, I'm a hansum man. laugh.gif" border="0

Hi,

Try deleting all the stuff in the TEMP map in the WINDOWS map, most people don't do this, it is stuff that is temporary but that the programs and windows don't delete after they don't use it anymore, so everything there can be deleted, and often can free up quite some space. I've had people complain too, and up to 3/4th of their drive was filled just with that.

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

quote:

Originally posted by Wody:

Hi,

Try deleting all the stuff in the TEMP map in the WINDOWS map, most people don't do this, it is stuff that is temporary but that the programs and windows don't delete after they don't use it anymore, so everything there can be deleted, and often can free up quite some space. I've had people complain too, and up to 3/4th of their drive was filled just with that.

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

Wody,

That was a little technical for me. I did a search for "map" in the Windows folder and their are a lot of files with the word "map" in them in the "Temporary Internet Files" folder. It seemed like you were referring to a folder in your response though.

What about all these thousands of temporary internet files and hundreds of cookies. Why not just empty the temp folder?

Thanks for your help,

Paolo

Archived