Software Piracy in Thailand

Lamock Chokaprret

I've got to agree with db_sed_aloha on all of this. Ultimately, it's not acceptable to steal from someone just because you consider them to be too rich. If you don't want to pay the price for Microsoft's products, use something else. There are alternative, cheap (even free) options on the market. If I were a large software company, I'd consider not producing a local version for markets that had extensive piracy..

As for people that consider drug firms to be evil because they complain about countries copying their products for free... mad.gif" border="0

Are they supposed to spend years and millions of dollars for nothing? The fact is, if they don't have the incentive to find these drugs, then the drugs won't get produced. Who's going to make the drugs? You?

quote:

As for people that consider drug firms to be evil because they complain about countries copying their products for free...
mad.gif" border="0

Are they supposed to spend years and millions of dollars for nothing? The fact is, if they don't have the incentive to find these drugs, then the drugs won't get produced. Who's going to make the drugs? You?[/QB]

I have to following idea about this. Suppose companies, whether software producers, or drug producers, develop their products for a certain market, calculating their benefits and projecting to make a profit on the whole thing. So when they reach the conclusion that the effort is reasonable and a good profit can be made, off they go and produce.

If it then so happens, there is a good use for their products outside their target market, let then produce some more, sell it at cost levels, and have some social and moral responsibility in the process.

I know this is not 100% capitalist thinking, but hey, hopefully there is still room for some alternative thinking in this world.

Cheers.

Well bibblies, you are entirely right - I do in fact use alternatives to Microsoft's product - a product often bought at establishments such as Pantip Plaza!

And I do not feel even slightly guiltly.

I will not have a corporation tell me what is "moral and what is amoral", least of all Microsoft, you may choose otherwise.

laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by choopthai:

I have to following idea about this. Suppose companies, whether software producers, or drug producers, develop their products for a certain market, calculating their benefits and projecting to make a profit on the whole thing. So when they reach the conclusion that the effort is reasonable and a good profit can be made, off they go and produce.

If it then so happens, there is a good use for their products outside their target market, let then produce some more, sell it at cost levels, and have some social and moral responsibility in the process.

I know this is not 100% capitalist thinking, but hey, hopefully there is still room for some alternative thinking in this world.

Cheers.

Mmmmm, so to sum it up, you have a strong social conscience and believe that other people should spend their time, money and efforts in putting social wrongs right.

What do you do during this time? Oh, just your normal everyday job..

I submit that if you really cared about these people then you'd be trying to discover such drugs yourself or be working in that area. (Apologies if you are, by the way.) Failing that, you could be fund-raising, setting up charitable institutions that pay for expensive drugs for those who can't afford them.

If you're not doing that, then you're simply asking other people to pay the price.

Archived