Air-con double speak: BTU or kW?

I may be renting a new house soon but the new landlord wants to sell the air-conditioner unit to the new tenant, as part of the deal. This would be okay, *IF* the price was reasonable.

But he wants 18,000 baht for the used unit.

It's a Toshiba RAS-18NKX and he says he paid around 40k for it, six months ago. Nothing much on the Toshiba Thailand website, but their Singapore site quotes a list price of $2,000 Singapore dollars (around 48,000 baht) for this unit.

This seems expensive as I have seen other brand new units in Thailand for around 15k baht.

The landlord claims it's better than the cheaper models because it has 4.95 kW cooling capacity, and the Singapore website says it has 17,000 BTU.

I am confused! I know absolutely nothing about these measuring units... all (ancient) Greek to me.

Any ideas? crazy.gif" border="0

From my experience, I have:

9000 btu for small bedrooms (12/14 m2)

25000 btu for big bedroom (60 m2)

2x36000 btu for livingroom (120 m2)

To compare, the 9000 btu units including installation where around 20k for a sub-brand. These untis can be bought for 15k also when in an promotion.

From this the price of the 6 months old 17000 btu unit is not bad at 18k. But normally the aircon is part of the rental house and not the responsibility of the tenant.

Archived